Dear younger me (and anyone from Kalyan reading this),
You know that moment when your salary hits your HDFC account and you immediately check how much actually landed? And then you panic because ₹40,000 went somewhere between your HR department and your bank account? Yeah. That's income tax doing its thing.
For the longest time, I thought tax was some random number companies subtracted. Like, why did earning ₹30 lakhs a year mean I'd lose more money than someone earning ₹20 lakhs? It made zero sense. My friends would say "progressive taxation" and I'd nod like I understood, but I didn't. Not really.
Then I started working at Morningstar. Then I actually read the tax rules. And — this sounds dramatic but it's true — it changed how I think about money entirely.
So here's what I want to do: explain how India's income tax slabs actually work. Not the textbook version. The real-life version. The one that matters when you're checking your payslip on the 1st of every month during your Kalyan-to-Mumbai commute.
What Even Is a Tax Slab (And Why Should You Care)?
Let me start with the most basic part: India doesn't take the same tax percentage from everyone. That would be unfair (and honestly, unsustainable).
Instead, the government uses something called progressive taxation. The idea is simple: if you earn more, you should pay more tax. But not in a flat way. In a graduated way.
Think of it like this — imagine a staircase. The first few steps (lower income) have a lower tax. As you climb higher (earn more), the tax percentage increases. But here's the crucial part: you don't pay the higher tax on all your income. You pay it only on the income that falls in that higher bracket.
This is the part that confused me for years. I thought if I crossed a tax slab, I'd suddenly owe a huge amount. That's not how it works. At all.
The Slab System (FY 2024-25)
Here's what the current tax slabs look like for individuals under 60 years old (assuming you've opted for the new tax regime, which most people earning under ₹50 lakhs should):
| Income Range (₹) | Tax Rate |
|---|---|
| 0 to 3,00,000 | 0% (No tax) |
| 3,00,001 to 6,00,000 | 5% |
| 6,00,001 to 9,00,000 | 10% |
| 9,00,001 to 12,00,000 | 15% |
| 12,00,001 to 15,00,000 | 20% |
| Above 15,00,000 | 30% |
I know what you're thinking: "That 30% at the top looks scary." And yeah, it is. But remember — you only pay 30% on the income above ₹15 lakhs. Not on everything.
A Real Example (Because Numbers Matter)
Let me walk you through an actual scenario. Say you earn ₹45 lakhs a year (gross salary before tax). How much tax do you actually owe?
Break it down by slab:
- First ₹3,00,000 → 0% tax = ₹0
- Next ₹3,00,000 (from ₹3L to ₹6L) → 5% tax = ₹15,000
- Next ₹3,00,000 (from ₹6L to ₹9L) → 10% tax = ₹30,000
- Next ₹3,00,000 (from ₹9L to ₹12L) → 15% tax = ₹45,000
- Next ₹3,00,000 (from ₹12L to ₹15L) → 20% tax = ₹60,000
- Remaining ₹30,00,000 (from ₹15L to ₹45L) → 30% tax = ₹9,00,000
Total tax = ₹10,50,000
Your effective tax rate? About 23.3%. Not 30%. That's the key insight. You're paying an average, not the top rate.
But Wait — There's an Old System Too
Here's where it gets confusing for a lot of people (including me, initially). India actually offers two tax regimes: the old one and the new one.
In the old regime, you get a bunch of deductions (Section 80C, 80D, home loan interest, etc.). These reduce your taxable income before tax is calculated. So you might earn ₹50 lakhs but only pay tax on ₹35 lakhs after deductions.
In the new regime, there are almost no deductions. But the tax rates are lower and the basic exemption is higher.
Which should you choose? Honestly, if you're earning under ₹50 lakhs and don't have a home loan or insurance, the new regime usually wins. But if you've got a mortgage, EPF, or life insurance, run both numbers. I use a simple Excel sheet at the beginning of every financial year.
What Actually Gets Taxed (And What Doesn't)
This one surprised me. Not all income is taxed the same way.
Salary Income
This is straightforward. Your monthly salary is added up, tax is calculated, and it's deducted monthly by your company (called TDS — Tax Deducted at Source). By the end of the year, if they've deducted too much, you get a refund. If too little, you owe the difference.
That's why checking your payslip matters. Some companies miscalculate, and you might overpay for months.
Other Income (Investments, Side Projects)
Here's where it gets interesting. If you earn from dividends, mutual funds, freelancing, or a side project, that gets added to your income and taxed as per the slabs too.
So if your salary is ₹40 lakhs and you made ₹5 lakhs from freelance writing, you're now taxed on ₹45 lakhs total. Which means more of your income falls into the higher brackets. This is called marginal income, and it's expensive.
A lot of people don't think about this when they start side hustles. Your side income might seem great until you realize how much tax it attracts.
Deductions That Actually Save You Money
If you're on the old regime (or considering it), these deductions can bring your taxable income down significantly:
- Section 80C: Up to ₹1.5 lakhs per year. This includes EPF, life insurance premiums, and investment in certain bonds. If you're working at a company, they already deduct EPF (usually 10-12%), so you're covered here.
- Section 80D: Health insurance premiums. If you're paying for parent's or spouse's health insurance too, stack it all here.
- Home Loan Interest: If you have a home loan, the interest portion is deductible. This one's huge if you're in your late 20s or 30s buying a place in Mumbai or Pune.
- Section 80E: Student loan interest. If you're still paying off education loans, you can deduct the interest.
And here's the thing that doesn't get talked about enough: if you work at Morningstar or any MNC, they probably have a benefits platform (like Aon or Mercer) that optimizes your tax through salary structuring. Use it. Talk to your HR. They can shift some of your salary to tax-free allowances (like HRA) and save you lakhs.
Why You Might Get a Refund (And Why You Shouldn't Rely On It)
Every July-August, millions of Indians file tax returns hoping for a refund. And a lot of them get one.
But here's my honest take: a refund means your company withheld too much tax throughout the year. You essentially gave the government an interest-free loan.
Is it bad? Not really. It forces you to save (because the money was deducted before you could spend it). But it's also inefficient. If you understand your tax bracket, you can adjust your withholding and have more money in hand every month to invest or save in a Zerodha account or through CRED for better returns.
Some years I get ₹50,000 back. Some years I pay ₹20,000 more. I used to stress about this. Now I see it as white noise. As long as my total tax isn't shocking, I'm fine.
My Perspective
Sitting on the 7:15 AM AC local from Kalyan to Dadar, I often listen to podcasts about money while listening to people talk about how they got "screwed" by taxes. And I used to be one of them.
What changed? I stopped thinking of tax as something the government is doing to me. I started thinking of it as a system I could work within smartly.
The truth is, you can't avoid tax if you're earning legitimately. But you can optimize it. You can max out your 80C deductions. You can choose the right regime. You can structure your salary if your company allows it. You can keep side income to a reasonable level so marginal income doesn't spike.
The other thing that surprised me? The government is actually pretty transparent about tax. Everything is on the Income Tax website. You can download the forms, see the rules, use the calculators. There's no mystery. We just don't take the time to understand it.
I used to think wealthy people had some secret tax hack. They don't. They just know how the system works and use it to their advantage. You can too.
Final Thoughts
Look, I'm not a CA, and I'm definitely not telling you to avoid paying taxes (please don't). What I'm saying is: understand how the system works before you panic about your payslip.
Spend 30 minutes with your salary structure. Understand what's being deducted and why. File your ITR on time (the deadline is usually July 31, but file earlier). Keep your receipts for health insurance and loan documents.
And honestly? If you're earning under ₹50 lakhs and your situation is straightforward (job income, maybe one investment, no property rentals), your tax is probably optimized already. Don't overthink it.
But if you're earning more, or you've got side income, or you're thinking about property or business — that's when it pays to sit down with a CA for an hour. Trust me, the ₹5,000 you spend on advice will save you ₹50,000 in tax (or more).
And one more thing: stop thinking of taxes as a loss. Think of them as the cost of living in a country with infrastructure, courts, roads, and schools. You're not losing money. You're participating in a system that hopefully, eventually, makes all our lives better.
Hope this helped. If you've got specific questions, drop them in the comments. I read them — especially during that long Kalyan-to-Mumbai commute.
—Dattatray
Dattatray Dagale
Data Analyst • Blogger • Mumbai
I'm a data analyst from Kalyan, Maharashtra, working at Morningstar. I write about personal finance, career growth, and everyday life for Indian millennials — the stuff I wish someone had told me earlier.
Written by Dattatray Dagale • 24 July 2026
0 Comments