It was 7:47 AM on a Tuesday morning, and I was standing in a packed local train between Kalyan and Mumbai Central. My phone had 12% battery. I'd forgotten my earphones at home the night before. And for the first time in three months, I had nothing to listen to.
I realized something uncomfortable: I'd become completely dependent on podcasts. Not just for entertainment—for thinking. For learning. For processing the weird anxiety that comes with navigating your 20s and 30s in India, where everyone has an opinion about your salary, your investments, and whether you should've married by now.
Without my podcast, I just stood there. Thinking. Observing the woman next to me checking her Groww app. The guy across from me scrolling through LinkedIn job posts at 8 AM (which, let's be honest, is a cry for help). The older man reading a newspaper about inflation. And I thought: maybe podcasts work for millennials like us because they don't demand we *stop* doing things. They fit into the cracks of Mumbai commutes and lunch breaks and the 20 minutes you spend pretending to work while actually sitting in Slack.
But are they actually good? That's what I've spent the last six months trying to figure out. And here's what I found—ranked, honest, and filtered specifically for Indians our age who care about money, work, and not messing up their lives.
The Money and Career Podcasts That Actually Stick
1. The Pomp Podcast (Hosted by Anthony Pompliano) – For Bitcoin and Macro Obsessives
I'll be honest: I used to dismiss crypto people as overconfident douchebags. (I might have been right, but that's not the point.) What changed my mind wasn't the Bitcoin price—it was realizing that understanding macro trends, inflation, central bank policies, and how global money flows actually *matters* when you're earning in INR and trying to build wealth.
Pomp breaks this down better than most Indian financial YouTubers. Yes, he talks about Bitcoin. But he also has interviews with economists, policy experts, and investors who explain *why* currencies move, why inflation hits India differently than the US, and why your ₹50 lakh savings in a bank account might be a bad move. For someone working in data analysis (which is basically reading trends all day), this podcast feels like getting paid commentary on the spreadsheet that is global economics.
Fair warning: Skip episodes where he's ranting about politics. Stick to the ones with guests. Your time on the 7:15 AM local is too valuable for that.
2. The Indicator from Planet Money – For People Who Think Economics is Boring
This one's short—8-10 minutes, max. Perfect for the exact time it takes to walk from Kalyan station to the office building (or however long your specific commute segment is). Each episode tackles one economic idea: Why did job markets stay tight even after recession fears? Why do Indian startups fail? What does "stagflation" actually mean for your rent?
The best part? They explain it without making you feel stupid. And they use real examples. Indians can actually relate to. This isn't just American economic theory—they've started covering emerging markets, and the India episodes are *chef's kiss* if you work in finance or data.
3. Naval Ravikant's "How to Get Rich" Podcast Series – For When You Need a Philosophical Reframing
Naval's not Indian, but he gets asked about India constantly, and his framework about wealth—"wealth is not money, wealth is assets that generate returns"—hits different when you're a 26-year-old in Kalyan trying to decide between upgrading your laptop or putting ₹1.5 lakh into Groww.
Controversy alert: Naval has some polarizing takes on immigration and crypto. You can skip those. But his core idea about differentiating yourself through skills, building "judgment" through reading, and separating luck from skill is the kind of stuff that actually changes how you think about your career progression. I used to chase promotions. Now I'm chasing learning velocity. That shift came from listening to Naval.
---The Indian Podcasts That Feel Like Talking to Smart Friends
4. Bull$h!t or Not? (Hosted by Akshat Shrivastava)
This is the podcast that feels like a friend group debate happening in someone's apartment in Bandra. Akshat (who runs Stockpile, an investment newsletter) brings experts on to explain financial myths that specifically plague Indian millennials. Does SIP beat lump sum? Is a house a good investment? Should you do MBA? Should you move to the US?
The production is chaotic. The debates get heated. Someone always makes a joke that doesn't land. But *that's the point*. It feels real. It feels like the conversations you're already having at 11 PM over beers, except someone's done the research. The episode on "Is 50-30-20 Rule Actually Garbage" literally changed how I budget (spoiler: it's context-dependent).
And the guests are usually people who actually work in finance, startup funding, and investing—not just YouTube personalities with 10 lakh followers and no actual skin in the game.
5. Finwit (Hosted by Akshay Sriram)
If Bull$h!t or Not is chaotic energy, Finwit is organized chaos. Short episodes (usually 20-30 minutes), focused entirely on Indian wealth-building: How to read a balance sheet, understanding CAGR, the actual returns from real estate, tax-efficient investing through CRED rewards (which is somehow still underrated).
What I love: Akshay doesn't pretend to be a guru. He explicitly says when he doesn't know something. He changes his opinions when the data changes. And he's obsessed with clarity—every episode has one main idea explained so clearly that you could explain it to your parents the next day. (I've actually done this.)
The episodes on "Why Crypto Matters Even If You Don't Invest" and "Understanding Your Stock Broker Dashboard" are the ones I keep recommending.
---The Career and Life Podcasts for 22-35 Year Old Millennials
6. The Neuroscience of Self (Hosted by Andrew Huberman, Featuring Indian Contexts)
Okay, so Huberman is American. But when he talks about focus, sleep, and productivity—things that directly impact your career velocity—it applies to everyone. And since I started applying his frameworks (strategic caffeine timing, 10-minute walks after learning something new, sleep consistency), I've actually started finishing projects at work instead of just starting them.
For Indians: The things he recommends cost nothing. No ₹5,000 app. No startup accelerator. Just behavioral changes. And honestly? Behavioral changes are what actually compound over time anyway.
7. The Ezra Klein Show – For When You Need Perspective on Why Your Job Feels Meaningless
This one's long-form (1.5-2.5 hours usually). Not for daily commutes. Save it for Sunday morning chai or long weekend drives. Ezra interviews people about work, meaning, technology, and why modern jobs feel simultaneously high-paying and pointless.
There's an episode with Cal Newport about "deep work" that literally made me reorganize how I approach data analysis projects at Morningstar. Instead of context-switching across 15 Slack channels, I now block 4-hour focus sessions. My output got better. My stress got lower. The episode cost nothing. The value was real.
---The Comparison Table: Which Podcast Fits Your Commute
| Podcast | Avg Length | Best For | Effort to Understand | How Indian Is It |
|---|---|---|---|---|
| The Pomp Podcast | 45-90 min | Macro trends, crypto, global economics | Medium (requires prior knowledge) | 30% (global focus) |
| Planet Money Indicator | 8-12 min | One economics concept per episode | Low (very accessible) | 50% (increasingly India-focused) |
| Bull$h!t or Not? | 60-90 min | Indian investing myths, debate-style | Low-Medium | 95% (entirely India-focused) |
| Finwit | 20-35 min | Quick wealth-building concepts | Low | 100% (entirely India-focused) |
| Huberman Lab | 2-3 hours | Sleep, focus, productivity science | Medium (deep science) | 10% (universal concepts) |
| Ezra Klein Show | 90-150 min | Work meaning, society, philosophy | Medium-High | 20% (global, but universally relevant) |
My Perspective
Here's what surprised me: The best learning didn't come from the most polished podcast. It came from the ones where someone admitted uncertainty. Where they changed their mind. Where they argued with guests instead of just nodding along.
I spend 4 hours a week on trains. That's 208 hours a year. If I use that for quality podcasts, I'm essentially getting a free education while staring at the same Kalyan-to-Mumbai route I've traveled 500 times. But here's the honest part: Most podcasts are garbage. People record conversations without a clear idea, ramble for 90 minutes, and add nothing to your life except time-wasting.
The ones I've listed are different. They're not inspirational nonsense. They're not "here's my 10 steps to success" YouTube-bro energy. They're actual learning. And more importantly, they're specific to the problem we're solving: How do you build wealth, meaningful work, and a decent life in India right now, in your 20s and 30s, without screwing up?
That's the filter I used. And honestly? It removed a lot of noise.
---Final Thoughts
Podcasts aren't better than books. They're different. You can absorb a book more deeply. But you can absorb a podcast while doing 15 other things, which means you can *actually* do it consistently. And consistency beats intensity in learning every single time.
Start with Finwit or Bull$h!t or Not if you want to feel smarter about money immediately. Pick The Indicator if you want a quick daily habit. And save the longer ones (Ezra Klein, Huberman) for weekends when you can actually sit and think.
The woman on my train last Tuesday who was checking Groww at 8 AM? She's already thinking about her money. So are we. The difference between her and someone who doesn't grow wealth isn't intelligence—it's consistency and actual information. Podcasts are a way to layer real information over the time you're already spending commuting, exercising, or pretending to work.
That's why they work for us.
Pick one this week. Listen to three episodes. Then decide if it fits your brain. You've got nothing to lose except the 20 minutes you'd waste scrolling Instagram anyway.
Dattatray Dagale
Data Analyst • Blogger • Mumbai
I'm a data analyst from Kalyan, Maharashtra, working at Morningstar. I write about personal finance, career growth, and everyday life for Indian millennials — the stuff I wish someone had told me earlier.
Written by Dattatray Dagale • 15 August 2026
0 Comments