I used to wake up at 5:45 AM on weekdays, shower, make chai, and then spend 20 minutes scrolling through my phone before boarding the 6:35 local from Kalyan. My feeds looked like this: Mint, ET Markets, Moneycontrol, Reddit's r/IndianPersonalFinance, three WhatsApp groups, four Telegram channels, and a custom Google News feed filtered for "stock market".
I was informed. Constantly. Neurotically.
I was also exhausted. And making worse decisions than before.
Here's the thing — staying updated with finance news isn't the problem. The problem is the way most of us do it. We treat information like calories: more is better, speed matters, and we should consume everything available. Then we wonder why we feel bloated and still hungry.
The Trap Most of Us Fall Into
Let me paint a picture you've probably lived. You open an app like Moneycontrol at 9:32 AM because you heard Sensex moved 200 points. By 9:45 AM, you've read seven articles, three of which contradict each other. By 10:15 AM, you've checked your portfolio three times even though the market opened only 15 minutes ago. By 11 AM, you're anxious about positions you didn't even plan to hold short-term.
The financial media ecosystem in India is designed to exploit exactly this behavior. Every rupee movement gets a headline. Every RBI comment gets spun 47 different ways. Every earnings season turns into a 24-hour panic cycle.
At Morningstar, I analyze data for investment research. One pattern I've noticed repeatedly: retail investors who check their portfolio or read market news more than five times a week underperform those who check monthly. Not by a small margin either. We're talking about 1.5–2% annual underperformance, sometimes more. The data is clear. More information creates more noise. More noise creates worse decisions.
The irony? The people reading the most news think they're the most informed. They're actually just the most anxious.
Why You Feel Overwhelmed (The Real Reason)
You're Trying to Stay Updated About Everything
The first mistake: treating "finance news" as one monolithic thing you need to know. You don't. A software engineer who invests in index funds doesn't need to know about rubber futures. Someone building a real estate portfolio doesn't need hourly crypto updates. A startup founder saving for retirement doesn't need to track debt instrument yields daily.
But we treat finance news like weather — something that affects everyone equally, something we all need to track continuously.
When I was setting up my own portfolio five years ago (29 lakhs through SIPs, mutual funds, and one ill-timed direct stock purchase I'd rather forget), I realized I was reading news about sectors I didn't invest in, markets I had no exposure to, and instruments I didn't understand. I was collecting information like Pokemon cards.
You're Confusing News with Relevance
Here's what changed everything for me: I started asking one question before clicking any article: "If I read this, what decision will I make differently?"
Try it. Right now. The next time you see a headline about FII flows or the rupee weakening or some stock hitting a 52-week high, ask yourself: will this change anything about my financial plan? My asset allocation? My next action?
If the answer is no, the article has negative value. It's stealing your attention and replacing it with a feeling of pseudo-knowledge.
What Actually Works (My Three-Source System)
After 18 months of experimenting, I've landed on something that works. Not because it's perfect, but because it's realistic and sustainable. Let me break it down.
Source 1: One Macro-Level Newsletter (Weekly, 15 Minutes)
Pick one. Not three. One.
For me, it's Capitalmind's weekend letters. For others, it might be Zerodha's Z-Connect or Morningstar's own India Research roundup. The criteria: whoever you choose should connect dots between economic data, policy changes, and market movements. One email per week is enough.
Why weekly, not daily? Because macro trends don't change daily. They take weeks to materialize. Reading the same macro story Monday through Friday is like refreshing your email every 30 seconds — you're not getting new information, just the same information restated.
This takes maybe 12–15 minutes of quality reading. Set a time: Sunday morning coffee, Saturday evening wind-down, Friday lunch break. Not 7 AM on a weekday when your brain is already overstimulated.
Source 2: One Sector-Specific or Holdings-Specific Source (Bi-Weekly, 10 Minutes)
Here's where specificity matters. If you hold tech stocks, follow one good tech sector analyst. If you're invested in Reliance or ITC or HDFC Bank, follow one credible source analyzing just those companies. If you're into mutual funds, stick with one fund research platform.
The rule: only follow what you actually hold or plan to hold. Nothing else.
I check Moneycontrol's specific company pages for my 3–4 core holdings every 15 days. That's it. I know their P/E ratios, I know their quarterly results timeline, I know their structural story. I don't need updates more than twice monthly.
Source 3: One Community or Discussion Forum (Optional, As-Needed)
This is the only "whenever you want" source. Reddit's r/IndianPersonalFinance, a WhatsApp group of real friends with serious investing (not trading), or a community like Bogleheads India.
The difference? These are places where you're learning from peers, not professionals trying to sell you something. The content isn't optimized for urgency. You're not getting algorithmically-fed content designed to trigger emotions.
But use it wisely. One lurk per week maximum, or you'll slip back into the doom-scrolling habit.
| Source Type | Frequency | Time Commitment | What to Track |
|---|---|---|---|
| Macro Newsletter | Weekly | 12–15 min | Interest rates, inflation, GDP, policy |
| Holdings Research | Bi-weekly | 10–15 min | Specific stocks/funds you own |
| Community Forum | As-needed | 5–10 min | Peer insights, questions, ideas |
Total monthly time commitment? Less than 3 hours. That's what I spend on my entire financial education now, and I'm better informed than when I was spending 15+ hours monthly.
How to Actually Implement This (Without Falling Back Into Old Habits)
Knowledge without systems dies. I know because I've been there.
Step 1: Unsubscribe from everything except your three chosen sources. Everything. Yes, even those "curated" finance apps. Delete the Moneycontrol app if you check it unconsciously. Remove the financial news notification settings from your phone.
This will feel like cutting off an arm for one week. You won't miss it after week two. I promise.
Step 2: Create a calendar block. Sunday 8 AM for macro news. Every other Wednesday lunch for holdings research. Saturday evening for community forum, if you want.
Sounds rigid? It is. That's the point. Rigidity here buys you freedom everywhere else. You're not wondering, "Should I check the news?" You've already decided. You just follow the calendar.
Step 3: When you feel the urge to check news in between (and you will, because FOMO is real), ask yourself the question: "Will this change my decision this week?"
Sit with the discomfort for 60 seconds. Then do something else. The urge will pass. It always does.
Step 4: Track your emotional state. For one month, note how anxious you feel about your portfolio on a scale of 1–10. After implementing this system for three months, compare. I went from averaging a 6.2 to a 3.1. That's not insignificant.
My Perspective
Here's what surprised me when I analyzed our Morningstar data on investor behavior: the correlation between news consumption frequency and investment returns isn't just weak — it's slightly negative. Investors who read more news don't make better calls. They make more calls. And more calls, statistically, means more mistakes.
I used to believe that being well-informed meant reading widely. I was wrong. Being well-informed now means reading deeply about what matters to you, and being ruthless about everything else.
The hardest part? Accepting that you won't catch every opportunity. You won't know about some stock that went up 200% because you weren't following it. You'll miss some trending investment idea because you weren't in that WhatsApp group. And you'll be better off for it. Because the opportunities you did miss are balanced out by the stupid decisions you avoided. The math works out in your favor if you're willing to sit with some ignorance.
That commute from Kalyan to Bandra that used to be my news-reading time? Now it's where I think. I use Audible to listen to books. Sometimes I just stare out the window. And when I do check my portfolio quarterly and make adjustments, I'm doing it from a place of clarity, not panic. That's worth more than any headline.
Final Thoughts
You don't need to be less informed. You need to be *differently* informed.
The version of you that reads one quality macro newsletter weekly, checks your specific holdings bi-weekly, and occasionally engages with thoughtful peers is more financially educated than the version reading 15 sources daily. You're just educated in a way that leads to better decisions instead of just more anxiety.
Financial freedom isn't built on perfect information. It's built on consistent action, reasonable choices, and the peace of mind to let your investments work. You get that peace of mind when you stop treating financial news like breaking news and start treating it like the slow-moving, pattern-based story it actually is.
Pick your three sources this week. Set your calendar blocks. Delete the apps. And then notice how much mental space opens up. That's the real gain.
Good luck. You've got this.
Dattatray Dagale
Data Analyst • Blogger • Mumbai
I'm a data analyst from Kalyan, Maharashtra, working at Morningstar. I write about personal finance, career growth, and everyday life for Indian millennials — the stuff I wish someone had told me earlier.
Written by Dattatray Dagale • 18 August 2026
0 Comments