Advertisement

Can You Really Quit Doom Scrolling or Are You Just Lying to Yourself?

Can You Really Quit Doom Scrolling or Are You Just Lying to Yourself?

I used to think I was productive.

This was two years ago, maybe 2022. I'd wake up at 6 AM, make chai, sit at my desk in Kalyan, and open my laptop by 6:45. Clean routine. The kind of thing you tell people about at family dinners.

Then I'd pick up my phone.

"Just 5 minutes," I'd tell myself. Just checking the news. Just one scroll through Reddit's r/IndiaPersonalFinance. Just seeing what's happening on Twitter because, you know, there might be something about market crashes or interest rates that matters for my work at Morningstar.

By 7:30 AM, I'd still be scrolling.

The worst part? I didn't even realise it was happening. My brain had built this perfect justification machine. Every swipe felt productive because the *content* was somewhat relevant to finance, career, or personal growth. I wasn't watching TikTok dance videos. I was reading about startup failures and market analysis. Surely that counted as work?

It didn't. And I'm guessing you already know this about yourself too.

The Real Cost of Scrolling (With Numbers That Actually Matter)

Let me do what I do best — break this down with actual numbers because vague advice about "digital wellness" makes me want to doom scroll harder out of spite.

I tracked my phone usage for 30 days using my phone's built-in screen time tool. This was humbling.

What My Data Showed

Instagram, Twitter, and Reddit combined: 3 hours 45 minutes per day on average.

Now, let's talk about what that actually means:

  • 3 hours 45 minutes × 30 days = 112.5 hours per month
  • 112.5 hours ÷ 8 hours of work per day = 14 full workdays gone.
  • That's roughly 28% of my productive working hours in a month.

Here's what killed me: if I earned ₹60 LPA at the time (roughly ₹28.8 per hour), those 112.5 hours represented about ₹3,240 worth of lost productivity. Per month. Every month.

That's ₹38,880 per year. Just... gone. Scrolling.

And that's only counting the direct cost of the time. The real damage was the context-switching tax — every scroll interruption meant I'd lose focus on actual work for another 10-15 minutes after putting the phone down. The real cost was probably closer to ₹80,000 when you factor that in.

The Compounding Cost Nobody Talks About

But here's the thing that actually woke me up: if I'd invested that ₹38,880 annually in a simple index fund returning 12% per year, over 10 years that would compound to roughly ₹1.2 lakhs. Over 30 years? That's ₹5+ lakhs in lost wealth.

Doom scrolling isn't just stealing your time. It's stealing your future.

Quick Tip: Calculate your hourly earning rate (annual salary ÷ 2,000 working hours). Now multiply that by the hours you doom scroll per week. That's your actual weekly cost. It makes the problem feel real, not theoretical.

How I Actually Changed (Not Motivation, Systems)

The first thing you need to know: willpower doesn't work. I used to think it did. I'd tell myself "just don't pick up your phone" or "be more disciplined." This is nonsense. Your phone is literally designed by engineers at Meta, Google, and ByteDance to be irresistible. You're not weak for struggling. The system is just better at persuasion than you are at resistance.

So I didn't fight willpower with willpower. I changed the environment instead.

The Three Environmental Changes That Actually Worked

1. The Physical Separation (Most Effective)

I moved my phone to another room during my first 2 hours of work each day. Not in another corner of the room. Another room entirely.

The friction matters. When your phone is arm's reach away, picking it up takes 1 second and feels unconscious. When it's in the next room, you have to make a conscious decision. That pause — that 10-second walk — is where your rational brain catches up to your impulse brain.

From March to June 2023, this single change dropped my morning scrolling time from 3 hours 45 minutes to 47 minutes. For real.

I'm not exaggerating. I measured it.

2. The Notification Massacre

I turned off literally every non-essential notification. Not "customised" them. Turned them off.

Think about what actually needs to notify you in real-time:

  • WhatsApp messages from family/close friends? Maybe. I set it to only notify for specific contacts.
  • Instagram likes? Absolutely not.
  • News alerts? No. I read news at 8 PM, once a day, intentionally.
  • Email? No. I check email at 11 AM and 3 PM, twice a day.

When notifications disappear, your phone stops calling to you. You'll be surprised how much less you want to pick it up when there's no little red badge screaming for attention.

3. The App Deletion Strategy

I deleted Instagram and Reddit from my phone. Not deactivated my accounts. Deleted the apps.

Here's the key: I didn't ban myself forever. I told myself I could reinstall them whenever I wanted. But the friction of reinstalling (finding the app store, typing the name, waiting for download, logging back in) is high enough that the impulse usually passes in 5 minutes.

For Instagram, I kept access only through web browser on my laptop, which I only opened in the evening. I check it for maybe 15 minutes, intentionally, when I'm already sitting down for leisure time anyway.

Twitter/X was trickier because I genuinely follow some useful finance and startup accounts. I kept it but used a third-party app called "Tweetbot" which removed the algorithm and recommendations. I see only who I follow, in chronological order. Way less engaging. Way better for my brain.

The Mental Shift That Makes It Stick

Systems work, but they work better when your brain agrees with them.

Here's what changed my mindset: I stopped thinking of scrolling as a personal character flaw and started thinking of it as a designed product problem.

These apps employ thousands of engineers whose literal job is to make the app as engaging (addictive) as possible. They A/B test notification timing. They study dopamine release patterns. They hire psychologists. They spend billions of dollars in R&D to figure out how to keep you scrolling.

The fact that you're struggling to stop isn't a sign you're weak. It's evidence that you're human and they're really, really good at their job.

Once I reframed it that way, I stopped blaming myself and started respecting the opponent. Which made me more willing to use harsher tactics (like deleting apps entirely) without feeling guilty.

The second mental shift: I started tracking what I was getting vs. what I was losing.

I have a note in my phone (ironic, I know) that lists:

What I'm gaining by not scrolling:

  • ✓ 12-15 hours per week to work on projects that actually move my career forward
  • ✓ Better sleep (no doom scrolling before bed = deeper sleep)
  • ✓ Fewer anxiety spikes (less exposure to terrible news happening in real-time)
  • ✓ Better relationships (actually present when with people)
  • ✓ Mental clarity during work hours

What I'm losing by not scrolling:

  • ✗ Entertainment while commuting? (But I read now instead, or just think. Both are better.)
  • ✗ Trending memes? (I'm 28. This isn't a loss.)

When you write it out like this, the trade feels obviously one-sided. Use that feeling to motivate yourself on hard days.

Metric Before (July 2022) After (August 2023) Impact
Daily scrolling time 3h 45m 32m -3h 13m reclaimed
Monthly productive hours gained ~96 hours
Financial value (at ₹29/hour) ₹2,784/month
Sleep quality (self-rated 1-10) 6.2 8.1 +1.9 points
Anxiety episodes per week 5-6 1-2 -70% reduction

What I'd Do Differently (And What I Still Struggle With)

I'm not going to pretend this is perfectly solved.

I still scroll. Still waste time sometimes. The difference is: it's now intentional and bounded, not unconscious and infinite.

If I could go back, I'd start with phone-in-another-room immediately instead of trying the "willpower" approach first. I wasted 6 months on that.

I'd also delete email from my phone entirely. Seriously. You don't need work email on your phone. The emergency that requires a response in 3 minutes instead of 3 hours is so rare that it doesn't justify the constant low-level anxiety.

The thing I still struggle with: evenings. After work, after dinner, there's this weird 45 minutes where I don't quite have the energy for deep work and I'm not ready to sleep. The phone pulls at me then. I've handled this by deliberately replacing it with something tactile: reading physical books, cooking, playing badminton at the colony court, texting a friend properly instead of just scrolling.

It's not perfect. But it's better.

The Tools That Help (The Ones I Actually Use)

I don't believe in "productivity porn" — buying apps and tools that make you feel productive without actually changing behavior. But a few tools genuinely help with this specific problem:

App Timers (Built-in to iOS/Android)

You can set limits on apps like WhatsApp, email, and web browsers. When you hit the limit, they get blocked for the day. I use this as a safety net for apps I kept but don't fully trust myself with.

Freedom.to (Paid, ₹299/month)

This is a website/app blocker that works across all your devices. You can block distracting websites and apps on a schedule. I use it to block news sites after 6 PM (except for a 30-minute window at 8 PM).

Forest App (One-time ₹99)

This is silly but it works. You plant a virtual tree when you want to focus. If you leave the app to use your phone, the tree dies. Over time you build a forest. There's a real-world component too — for every tree you grow, the app plants a real tree. I have 847 trees in my virtual forest. That's 847 real trees somewhere in India.

It's gamification, yes. But it works on my brain. So.

A Simple Notebook

I keep a small notebook on my desk where I write down what I want to accomplish each day and what time I accomplished it. It's not about perfection. It's about having something physically present that reminds you what you're trying to do. My phone isn't that. My notebook is.

My Perspective

Here's what surprised me most: the data analysis background actually worked against me at first.

At Morningstar, I work with data constantly. I'm used to accepting patterns, correlations, trends. When I looked at my phone usage data, I recognised the pattern: steady increase over time, seasonal spikes around market volatility, correlation with stress levels. And I... just accepted it? Like it was a natural phenomenon I couldn't control?

It took me embarrassingly long to realise that knowing the pattern is only half the battle. Acting on it is the other half. And action required changing my *environment*, not just understanding my *behaviour*.

I think as analysts, we sometimes get trapped in the explanation phase. We can tell you exactly why we're scrolling, what triggers the behaviour, what time of day it's worst. And then we think knowing that is enough. It's not. It's just the foundation.

What I got right: I measured everything. Measurement made it real. Numbers made it impossible to deny. And once it was undeniable, change became possible.

What I got wrong: I waited too long to act. I spent months documenting the problem when I could have spent weeks solving it.

Quick Tip: You don't need perfect knowledge to take action. You need 51% confidence that the action is better than inaction. Measure for two weeks, then act. Don't wait for complete data.

Final Thoughts

Here's what I want you to actually do, not tomorrow but today:

Pick one app. The one that eats the most time. Delete it or move it to another phone. That's it. One app. One change.

See what happens in a week. You'll feel weird. Possibly bored. Possibly anxious. That's normal. Your brain will feel the missing dopamine hit. Sit with that feeling for 3-4 days. It passes. Then you'll notice something: you have time. Actual time. Time to think, to work, to read a book, to call your parents without scrolling through their Instagram while you're on the call.

Once you experience that for a week, you won't want to go back.

I'm not going to tell you that you need to be productive 24/7 or that doom scrolling makes you a bad person. You're neither broken nor weak for struggling with this. These apps are genuinely well-designed to be addictive. That's not a character flaw in you. That's a design feature in them.

But you have agency here. More than you think. And the stakes are actually high — not just for your productivity, but for your peace of mind, your sleep, your relationships, your future self who'll be glad you saved those 100+ hours per year.

Start small. Change the environment. Measure the impact. That's how I went from 3h 45m of daily scrolling to 32 minutes. Not through willpower. Through design.

You can do the same.


Dattatray Dagale

Data Analyst • Blogger • Mumbai

I'm a data analyst from Kalyan, Maharashtra, working at Morningstar. I write about personal finance, career growth, and everyday life for Indian millennials — the stuff I wish someone had told me earlier.

Written by Dattatray Dagale • 16 August 2026

Post a Comment

0 Comments

×

📢 Featured Post

Post Thumbnail

💼 Budget 2025-26 💼

All major highlights.

📖 Read Now