I sat in that conference room at Morningstar for twenty minutes before my manager arrived, and my palms were already sweating.
Not because I was unprepared. Not because I didn't know my numbers. But because I genuinely didn't know if asking for more money made me greedy, ungrateful, or — worst of all — unprofessional.
This was three years ago. I was earning ₹8.5 lakhs annually, my peers were making ₹10-11 lakhs for the same role, and I had the data to prove it. But somehow, walking into that room to ask for a ₹2 lakh raise felt like I was about to commit some kind of workplace crime.
The thing is, I got that raise. Not because I was brilliant. But because I stopped thinking of negotiation as a confrontation and started treating it like a structured conversation with numbers attached.
If you're in your mid-twenties to mid-thirties, working in India, and you've never negotiated your salary — or you have but felt terrible about it — this is for you. Here's exactly how I do it now, with zero awkwardness and solid results.
Why Indians Are Terrible At Asking For Money
Let's start with the real problem. We're not bad at negotiation because we lack confidence. We're bad at it because we've been trained — in school, at home, in culture — to see asking for more as selfish.
I remember my mother once telling me, "If you do good work, they'll automatically give you a raise." It's a beautiful idea. It's also completely wrong.
Companies operate on budgets. They allocate raises based on cycles, benchmarks, and yes — the squeaky wheel gets the grease. When you don't ask, you're not being humble. You're just leaving money on the table. That ₹2 lakh I didn't ask for in year one? That's ₹4-5 lakhs of compounding loss over five years.
The Real Cost Of Silence
Here's something I calculated recently while reviewing my pay slips on the CRED app (because apparently that's what I do for fun now).
If you earn ₹8 lakhs and don't negotiate for five years, and your peers negotiate even once every two years, the gap by year five isn't ₹2-3 lakhs. It's closer to ₹8-10 lakhs because of how raises compound. You're not just losing money this year. You're building a lower baseline for every future raise, every bonus calculation, every stock option vesting.
And here's what surprised me most: your company doesn't see it as generous to give you what you already earned. They see it as efficient budget management.
The Guilt Is Not Real
I used to feel guilty. Still do, sometimes. But I've learned that guilt is just a story you're telling yourself. Your company isn't a charity. You're exchanging your time, skills, and mental energy for money. That's a transaction, not a favor.
When I negotiated that first raise at Morningstar, my manager didn't think I was ungrateful. He actually said, "I appreciate you came prepared with numbers. It makes my job easier to advocate for you with senior leadership."
That's when I realized: most managers want their people to negotiate. It gives them a legitimate reason to go to finance and fight for a bigger budget.
The Three-Step Framework I Use
Okay, here's the actual system. I've used this for every negotiation in the last three years — and I've had four. Two worked perfectly. One got me 60% of what I asked for. One was a no, but I learned why, and I negotiated successfully the next cycle.
Step 1: Build Your Data Case (The Numbers Game)
Before you talk to anyone, you need three numbers. Not feelings. Numbers.
First, your market rate. I use Glassdoor, Levels.fyi, and direct conversations with friends in similar roles at similar companies. For my role as a data analyst at Morningstar in Mumbai in 2023, the median was ₹11.5 lakhs with benefits. I checked three sources. Then I took the 50th percentile — not the 75th, because I'm trying to be reasonable, not delusional.
Second, your internal benchmark. What are people at your level, in your team or adjacent teams, earning? This is harder to find but crucial. At Morningstar, I have a rough idea of peer salaries because people talk (in hushed tones during coffee breaks, but they talk). I knew my peers ranged from ₹9.5 to ₹11 lakhs. That's my internal benchmark.
Third, your personal value add. This is specific. Not "I'm a good analyst." That's everyone. I mean: "I built the automated ETF tracking dashboard that saves the team 4 hours per week" or "My model for market volatility has a 92% accuracy rate." Quantify it. Attach numbers to impact.
For my last negotiation, I had:
- Market rate: ₹11.5 lakhs (50th percentile, Glassdoor + peer reports)
- Internal benchmark: ₹10.5 lakhs (peer earning, verified)
- My value: Reduced reporting generation time by 35%, built 3 automations that the entire team now uses
- My ask: ₹10.8 lakhs base + ₹0.5 lakh additional PF contribution
Step 2: Pick The Right Time And Frame
Timing is 40% of this game. I learned this the hard way.
The worst times: right after you make a mistake, during budget cuts, when your company just missed targets, or when your manager is visibly stressed. The best times: after you've completed a major project, during annual appraisal cycles, or when your company just had a good quarter.
For my last negotiation, I waited for two things to align: (1) I had just finished a major project that saved the team significant manual work, and (2) it was appraisal season. My manager was already in "evaluation mode," so adding a salary discussion felt natural.
The frame matters more than you think. Don't say: "I think I deserve more money." That puts your manager in a defensive position. Instead: "I've really enjoyed my time here, and I'd like to discuss my compensation based on market rates and my contributions. Do you have 30 minutes this week?"
Notice what I did there? I'm not confrontational. I'm collaborative. I'm saying: "Let's talk about this together."
Step 3: The Actual Conversation (The Script)
Here's roughly how it went:
Me: "Thanks for making time. I wanted to discuss my compensation. I've been here for two and a half years, and I've grown significantly. I've also looked at market data for similar roles."
Manager: "Sure, what are you thinking?"
Me: "Based on Glassdoor and peer conversations, the market rate for a data analyst with my experience in Mumbai is around ₹11–11.5 lakhs. Within the company, I know peers are around ₹10.5 lakhs. Given my work on the automation projects and the impact it's had, I'm looking for a salary in the ₹10.5–11 lakh range, plus a ₹0.5 lakh increase in PF contribution."
Notice: I didn't ask. I stated. I gave my number range. I gave the reason. I added a non-salary component (PF) to show I'd thought this through and wasn't just greedy.
Manager: "That's a significant jump. Let me see what I can do. Our budget is tight this cycle."
Me: "I understand budget is tight. Would ₹10.2 lakhs with the increased PF be feasible? Or if not this cycle, could we revisit in six months with a clear target?"
See what I did? I gave him an out. A lower ask. And a fallback plan. This isn't desperation. It's pragmatism. You're showing you're reasonable and you're committed to finding a solution.
Result: I got ₹10.3 lakhs + ₹0.5 lakh PF increase. Was it my full ask? No. Was it better than ₹9 lakhs? Absolutely. And because I wasn't inflexible, my manager felt like he'd negotiated fairly and respected me more for it.
Common Scenarios And How To Handle Them
Not every negotiation is straightforward. Here are the curveballs I've seen or experienced.
| Scenario | What Your Manager Says | What You Actually Do |
|---|---|---|
| Budget freeze | "Our budget is frozen for the next two quarters." | Negotiate for Q3/Q4. Ask: "When does the budget open up? Can we lock in a commitment for then?" Get it in writing via email. |
| You're not ready yet | "You're doing well, but you need more experience." | Ask specifically: "What exactly do I need to demonstrate? By when?" Get criteria. Then go execute and come back with proof. |
| Direct refusal | "We can't increase salary. Take it or leave it." | Don't negotiate further in that meeting. Sleep on it. If you're seriously underpaid, start interviewing. Sometimes you need external offers to move the needle. |
| Offer non-salary benefits | "We can't do more base, but we can add work-from-home flexibility or learning budget." | Calculate the value. Does the learning budget matter to you? Is the flexibility worth ₹0.5 lakh+ annually? If yes, consider it. If no, ask for both: "Can we do ₹9.8 lakhs base AND the flexibility?" |
What I Got Wrong (And Changed)
I used to think you should never negotiate before two years. That's nonsense. If you're underpaid from day one, two years of compounding loss is too much. I negotiated at 1.5 years and got ₹1.2 lakhs added.
I also used to think you need to threaten to leave. Turns out, the best negotiators I know never threaten. They just make their case calmly and let the company decide. If the company decides wrong, they leave anyway. But at that point, you have options.
And honestly? I used to feel like negotiating was this rare, scary event. Now I see it as a normal, annual conversation. Every year I have a brief chat with my manager around appraisal time: "Here's what I've accomplished. Here's what the market pays for this. What can we do?" Sometimes it's a raise. Sometimes it's not. But the conversation happens, and the awkwardness is gone.
My Perspective
Here's something I remember from my Economics M.A. — a professor talking about information asymmetry. Companies always have more information than employees about budgets, benchmarks, and salary ranges. That gap is where they win.
But here's what surprised me: that gap closes the moment you do the research. When I walked into that room with Glassdoor data, peer salaries, and a quantified impact statement, the dynamic shifted. I wasn't a nervous employee asking for a favor. I was someone with data, and that's power.
What I got wrong for years was thinking negotiation was about bravery or confidence. It's not. It's about preparation. Brave people without data still feel awkward. Prepared people with shaky confidence still get results.
And maybe the most useful thing I've learned: your company respects you more when you negotiate fairly than when you silently accept whatever you're given. It sounds counterintuitive, but it's true. Managers remember the people who asked. And they remember helping them.
Final Thoughts
That first negotiation three years ago? I was terrified. I practiced the conversation five times. I nearly backed out the morning of. But I walked in, said my piece, and got what I asked for (mostly).
The fourth negotiation? I was calm. Almost bored. I knew the script. I had the data. I wasn't asking permission to be paid fairly. I was explaining why it made sense.
That's the shift I want you to make. From nervous to pragmatic. From "please give me money" to "here's what the data shows." From awkward to professional.
You're not being greedy. You're not being ungrateful. You're being rational. And in a world where companies optimize budgets constantly, rationality is the only language that works.
So go build your case. Pick your time. Have the conversation. And stop leaving money on the table.
Your future self will thank you. Trust me.
Dattatray Dagale
Data Analyst • Blogger • Mumbai
I'm a data analyst from Kalyan, Maharashtra, working at Morningstar. I write about personal finance, career growth, and everyday life for Indian millennials — the stuff I wish someone had told me earlier.
Written by Dattatray Dagale • 08 October 2026
0 Comments