Advertisement

Work-Life Balance Is a Lie—Here's What Actually Works

Work-Life Balance Is a Lie—Here's What Actually Works

Let me start with something that'll probably annoy you: work-life balance doesn't exist.

At least not in the way everyone talks about it. That Instagram-perfect image of someone sipping coffee at 6 AM, finishing a workout by 7 AM, crushing it at work by 9 AM, and then spending quality time with family by 6 PM? That's not balance. That's just a 24-hour schedule that leaves no room for being human.

I used to believe in work-life balance. I really did. When I started at Morningstar about five years ago, fresh out of my Economics degree and eager to prove myself, I thought balance meant equal parts — 8 hours work, 8 hours personal, 8 hours sleep. Neat. Tidy. Achievable.

Then I started commuting from Kalyan to Mumbai every single day.

That 90-minute train journey changed everything about how I think about work and life. Not because it gave me time to think (though it did), but because it forced me to stop pretending that life happens in neat 8-hour blocks. On the 6:47 AM Kalyan local from platform 3, heading towards Dadar, I realized something: most days I'm not even awake for 8 hours of actual productive work. And that's okay.

Here's what I actually believe now: work-life balance is a myth. What matters is work-life *integration* — and more importantly, knowing what actually matters to you.

The Myth We've All Fallen For

The entire concept of work-life balance assumes something false: that work and life are enemies.

They're not. Work *is* part of life. The hours you spend analyzing data, building spreadsheets, attending meetings, or solving problems — that's not separate from your life. It's literally happening during your life. You can't compartmentalize it away and pretend it doesn't exist.

What we actually feel when we say "I don't have work-life balance" is something different. We feel like we're not doing *enough* of the things that make us feel alive. We're not spending enough time with people we love. We're not reading enough. We're not exercising. We're not pursuing hobbies. And yes, we're tired.

But here's the honest truth: there's a season in your life where work demands more. If you're 24 and building your career, if you're trying to get that promotion, if you're learning a new skill that could change your trajectory — those periods won't have "balance." They'll have *imbalance*, and that's not a failure. That's a choice.

Why the 8-8-8 Formula Doesn't Work in India

Here's something nobody talks about: the 8-8-8 model (8 hours work, 8 hours personal, 8 hours sleep) was designed for a different life.

It assumes you live 15 minutes from your office. It assumes you don't have aging parents to check on. It assumes your lunch break isn't spent handling your kid's school fees on PhonePe or calling a pipe contractor because your bathroom is flooded. It assumes you're not saving 30% of your salary for a down payment on a home because real estate in Mumbai costs ₹1.5+ crores for a 2BHK.

Indian millennials are living a completely different equation. We're sandwiched between ambition and responsibility, between building our careers and taking care of family, between wanting financial independence and understanding that we'll probably co-live with parents for years. The 8-8-8 formula collapses under this weight.

What works instead? Acceptance. Accept that balance is seasonal. Some months, work gets 60% of your energy and life gets 40%. Other months, it flips. What matters is the *trajectory over a year*, not the perfection of any single day.

The Guilt Trap That's Costing You Peace

Here's where it gets personal: the real poison isn't the lack of balance. It's the guilt about the lack of balance.

I spent about two years feeling guilty. Guilty that I wasn't at the gym 5 days a week like I "should" be. Guilty that I didn't have time to read a book every week. Guilty that some weekends I just wanted to sleep instead of doing something "productive" or "enriching." Guilty that I was tired. That guilt? It cost me more peace than the actual imbalance ever did.

The moment I stopped expecting balance and started expecting *honesty* about my season, things changed. I stopped beating myself up for skipping the gym. I started celebrating the 3 days I made it instead. I read 8 books last year instead of 52, and instead of feeling like a failure, I felt grateful for those 8.

What Actually Works: Integration Over Balance

The shift from "balance" to "integration" is subtle but life-changing.

Balance means compartmentalizing. Monday to Friday is work. Saturday and Sunday are personal. You clock out at 6 PM and you're "off." But who actually works like that? Who actually lives like that?

Integration means accepting that work and life are intertwined, and then deliberately choosing how they're intertwined. It means asking yourself: "What do I actually want from my work? What do I actually want from my life? How can they support each other instead of fighting?"

The Three Real Questions You Need to Answer

Question 1: What does "enough" look like for you?

Not what Instagram says. Not what your manager says. Not what your parents say. What does *enough* look like to you? How much money is enough? How much career progress is enough? How much personal time is enough? How much sleep is enough?

I realized about three years in that ₹20 LPA was "enough" for me. Not because I don't want more money — I do. But because after ₹20 LPA, the incremental happiness per rupee drops dramatically. I can afford a decent 1BHK, I can invest ₹15,000 every month in my Groww SIPs, I can take my parents out for dinner once a month, and I can save for emergencies. That's enough. Pursuing ₹30 LPA would mean more travel, more stress, less sleep, and for me, the trade-off isn't worth it.

Your number will be different. That's fine. But know what it is. Because you can't achieve integration until you know what you're optimizing for.

Question 2: What are you actually tired about?

This one surprised me. I used to think I was tired because of work. Turns out, I was tired because I was trying to do too many things at once and feeling guilty about not doing all of them well.

Are you tired because your job is genuinely draining? Or are you tired because you're also trying to go to the gym, learn Python, read 50 books a year, be present with family, build a side hustle, and maintain friendships all at the same time? Because those are two different problems with two different solutions.

I'm still figuring this out, but I'm learning to say "not right now" more often. Not "never." Not "I'm not capable." Just "not in this season." I learned Python last year because I thought I needed it for my job. I don't, really. So this year? I'm not learning anything new. I'm sleeping more instead.

Question 3: What would your ideal week actually look like?

Not your ideal day. Weeks are more realistic. I used to think: I want to go to the gym 5 days a week, work 8 hours, spend 2 hours with family, read for an hour, and sleep 8 hours. That's 16 hours every single day. It doesn't exist.

But a week? A week I can design.

My ideal week: I work from home 2 days (saves 3 hours of commute). I go to the gym 3 days (not 5). I spend Sunday evening with my parents. I read for 30 minutes before bed 3-4 nights a week. I sleep 7 hours on weeknights, 8-9 on weekends. That's 168 hours total. It's tight, but it works. And when work demands extra hours, I know what to sacrifice.

Myth Reality What Works Instead
Perfect 8-8-8 split every day Some days are 10-6-8, some are 6-10-8 Design your ideal *week*, not day
Clock out at 6 PM and forget work Work bleeds into personal time, and vice versa Integrate strategically—know what tasks need your full brain
Do everything, feel guilty about nothing Can't do everything; guilt paralyzes you Choose what matters, let the rest go
Pursue unlimited growth and opportunity Unlimited pursuit = unlimited exhaustion Define "enough" and optimize for peace

The Practical Systems That Actually Stick

Okay, enough philosophy. Here's what I actually do.

1. The Energy Audit

Every Sunday evening, I spend 15 minutes doing something I call an energy audit. I open a note on my phone and ask:

What drained me this week? What energized me? What can I do more of? What can I stop doing?

That's it. Super simple, but it works. This week, I realized that back-to-back meetings drain me way more than the actual work I do in those meetings. So I blocked off 2 hours on Friday for "no meetings." I know that commuting is unavoidable, but listening to podcasts makes it better. I know that scrolling through my phone at night tanks my sleep, so I use PhonePe's bill reminders (which actually ping me) instead of checking my phone every five minutes.

Small optimizations. Done weekly. They compound.

2. The "No" Framework

You know what changed everything for me? Learning to say no.

Not a vague "maybe later" no. A clear, kind, immediate no.

A colleague asked me to mentor her. I said no — not because I don't care, but because I'm already mentoring one person and that's my capacity right now. My manager asked me to take on a new project. I said no — I explained why, and offered to take it on after Q2. My gym buddy asked me to run a 10K race. I said no — I'm not training for races, I'm just trying to move my body 3 days a week.

Every no is a yes to something else. And that something else is usually sleep, or peace, or time with people I love.

Quick Tip: Before saying yes to anything (project, commitment, opportunity), ask yourself: "What will I stop doing to make space for this?" If you can't answer clearly, it's a no.

3. The Seasonal Approach

I think about my year in seasons, not in weeks.

Q1-Q2: I'm busier at work. Projects launch, targets matter. Personal time gets 30%. That's the deal I make with myself. I don't expect to learn new skills or build new habits during this time.

Q3-Q4: Things calm down. I have energy. This is when I read, when I take up new hobbies, when I spend more time with friends.

This isn't a rigid schedule, but it's a mental framework that removes guilt. When I'm exhausted in March, I don't think, "I should be more balanced." I think, "It's Q1. This is normal. By July, I'll have energy again."

And you know what? By July, I always do.

My Perspective: What the Kalyan-Mumbai Commute Taught Me

Here's the thing about spending 3+ hours every day on a local train: you see a lot of life happening.

You see people sleeping because they worked a night shift. You see students cramming for exams. You see women running a business from their WhatsApp while hanging onto a strap. You see an elderly man reading the newspaper every single morning for five years straight. You see couples holding hands in the lunch crowd.

And what strikes you is that *nobody* is living the Instagram version of work-life balance. Everyone is doing their own messy integration. The executive next to you isn't at the gym at 6 AM — he's probably grabbing chai at the station. The young professional isn't tracking her macros — she's splitting a samosa with her friend. Life is happening in the cracks between the ideal and the real.

I used to feel behind. Like I should be doing more, being more, optimizing more. Now? I listen to a podcast or read on my commute, and I call that enough. I don't need my commute to be "productive." I need it to be real.

That's shifted how I think about everything. Work doesn't have to be constantly optimized. Life doesn't have to be Instagram-ready. You're allowed to be tired. You're allowed to skip the gym. You're allowed to have a season where work matters more. And then another season where rest matters more.

Final Thoughts

Here's what I want you to know: if you're reading this and feeling like you're failing at work-life balance, you're not failing. The metric itself is broken.

What matters is this: Are you sleeping enough to think clearly? Are you making enough money to not be stressed about rent or food? Are you spending time with people who matter? Are you doing work that doesn't make you want to quit every morning?

If the answer to those questions is mostly yes, then you're not unbalanced. You're integrated. You're doing it right.

Stop waiting for perfect balance. Design your week instead. Know what's enough for you. Say no to things that don't serve that vision. Accept that some seasons are busier. Build systems that work *with* your life, not against it.

And on your commute tomorrow, whether it's 90 minutes or 15 minutes, don't judge yourself for not "using it productively." Sometimes just existing is productive enough.


Dattatray Dagale

Data Analyst • Blogger • Mumbai

I'm a data analyst from Kalyan, Maharashtra, working at Morningstar. I write about personal finance, career growth, and everyday life for Indian millennials — the stuff I wish someone had told me earlier.

Written by Dattatray Dagale • 07 October 2026

Post a Comment

0 Comments

×

📢 Featured Post

Post Thumbnail

💼 Budget 2025-26 💼

All major highlights.

📖 Read Now