Advertisement

Three Years at Morningstar Taught Me What Actually Separates Winners from the Rest

Three Years at Morningstar Taught Me What Actually Separates Winners from the Rest

The 6:47 AM local train from Kalyan to Mumbai Central is where I do my best thinking. Not because it's peaceful — it's chaos, honestly. Packed bodies, screaming kids, someone eating pav bhaji way too close to my face. But in those 45 minutes, I notice things.

Last Tuesday, I watched a guy next to me. Earbuds in, phone in hand, but he wasn't scrolling Instagram. He was reading analyst reports. Not in a rushed way. Deliberately. Pen in pocket. By the time we reached Dadar, he'd made three notes. His posture was different from everyone around him. Not arrogant. Just... intentional.

That's when it hit me — it's never about one big thing. High performers aren't smarter. They're not luckier. They've just engineered their habits differently.

After three years analyzing data at Morningstar, sitting in meetings with people who manage portfolios worth crores, and watching my peers at business school go from struggling to thriving, I've stopped believing in talent. I believe in systems now. And systems are just habits stacked on top of each other.

Here's what separates them from everyone else.

They're Boring About the Fundamentals

This one surprised me because I used to think high performers were doing something exotic. They weren't.

Every single high performer I know has three non-negotiable basics:

Sleep is a non-optional business metric

Not "I'll sleep when I'm dead" nonsense. Real, consistent sleep. Seven to eight hours. Not because they're lazy — because they know a sleep-deprived brain makes bad decisions. I used to think staying up late meant hustle. Turns out it just means you're tired and making ₹5,000 decisions poorly.

The people killing it at work? They're in bed by 11 PM on most nights. No exceptions. No Netflix till 2 AM. They've accepted that rest isn't the opposite of productivity. It's a requirement for it.

They move their body every single day

Not gym photoshoots. Not flexing on Instagram. Just... movement. A 30-minute walk. Yoga. Badminton. Swimming. Something that gets the heart rate up and the head clearer.

My colleague Priya at Morningstar runs 5 km every morning at 5:30 AM before work. Not because she's built like Deepika Padukone (she's not). Because she knows it sets her mood and energy for the day. She's also the person who closes deals faster and thinks clearer in meetings.

I ignored this for two years. Thought it was vanity. Then I started walking 30 minutes daily, and my decision-making actually improved. My attention span stopped being a goldfish's.

Food isn't casual — it's fuel

High performers don't do crash diets or extreme measures. They've just... decided that their body is worth ₹15 extra per meal. They buy good vegetables. They eat protein. They don't rely on Zomato biryani to feel full at 11 PM.

I know this sounds basic. It IS basic. That's exactly why most people skip it.

Quick Tip: Your body isn't separate from your career. A well-fed, well-rested, moving body is the foundation of everything else that follows. You can't think your way out of being exhausted.

They're Ruthlessly Honest About Money

High performers have a different relationship with money than everyone else. And I don't mean they're rich (though many end up that way).

They just... track it. Without shame. Without pretending.

They know exactly where their money goes

Not vaguely. Not "oh I must be spending around 40K." Exactly.

Every high performer I know uses an app or spreadsheet. Walrus, Mint, CRED, even just a Google Sheet — doesn't matter. What matters is that they know. They see the number. They see the pattern. They've stopped lying to themselves.

I started tracking my expenses in a spreadsheet in January 2021 out of sheer boredom, and it was horrifying. I was spending ₹8,000 per month on food delivery. EIGHT THOUSAND. I thought I was spending 4K. The gap between assumption and reality was enough to shake me.

That one habit — knowing exactly — changed my financial life. Not overnight. But within six months, I'd cut unnecessary spending by 30% and started investing that money in Groww instead.

High performers do this automatically. They're not heroes. They're just honest with themselves about the numbers.

They invest in learning as an expense line item

This separates them clearly. They budget for courses, books, subscriptions to financial apps, and they don't feel guilty about it.

Last year, I spent ₹12,000 on a Python course even though I already know basic Excel. My salary was 65K that month. That felt insane. But that course helped me automate reporting at work and freed up five hours per week.

Everyone else I know? They say "that's expensive" and move on. High performers budget ₹500-2,000 per month for learning. It's a line item in their finances, like rent or phone bills. Non-negotiable.

And honestly? It pays back. Not always immediately. But it always does.

They've Built Deliberate Systems for Shallow Work

Here's where it gets interesting. High performers don't work harder. They work smarter by automating the stupid stuff.

Cal Newport calls it "shallow work" — the stuff that feels productive but doesn't actually move the needle. Emails. Notifications. Meetings that could've been a Slack message.

Email and Slack are not real-time conversation

Every high performer I know has set boundaries. They don't check email constantly. They've turned off Slack notifications. They check these things twice a day — morning and evening.

When I started doing this, I felt irresponsible. Like the world would collapse if I didn't respond in 15 minutes. It didn't. The world continued. And I got four extra hours per week of focused work.

Most people treat notifications like doorbells. Every ding, you answer. High performers treat them like voicemail. You check them on your schedule, not theirs.

They have a shutdown ritual

My friend Aniruddh, who's a product manager at a startup, ends his day with 15 minutes of what he calls "shutdown ritual." He reviews his day, writes down three things he did well, three things to fix tomorrow, closes his laptop, and he's done. Actually done. Not "done but mentally still working."

Most people work from 9 to 6, but they're mentally at work till midnight. The laptop is closed but the brain is still churning. That's not productivity. That's burnout waiting to happen.

High performers close the loop. It creates psychological closure and lets them actually rest, which means they come back sharper.

Habit High Performers Everyone Else Impact on Career
Sleep 7-8 hours consistently 5-6 hours, irregular Better decision-making, 30% fewer mistakes
Exercise 30 min daily, non-negotiable Sporadic, guilt-driven Improved focus, lower stress levels
Financial Tracking Monthly, exact numbers Vague, estimated Higher savings rate, better investments
Learning Budget ₹500-2,000/month allocated "Too expensive", skipped Higher salary growth over 3-5 years
Email/Slack Checked 2x daily, batched Constant, reactive 4+ extra hours per week for deep work
Shutdown Ritual 15 min end-of-day review Work bleeds into personal time Better rest, prevents burnout, higher output

They Learn to Say No (and Mean It)

This is the one that took me the longest to understand.

High performers aren't busier than everyone else. They're just more selective about what they say yes to. They've learned that every "yes" to something is a "no" to something else.

I used to say yes to everything. Extra projects, meetings, helping colleagues, attending every birthday bash (okay, I still do that one). I thought that's what hustle looked like. Turns out it just meant I was doing 15 things at 60% capacity instead of three things at 95% capacity.

Then I watched my manager Deepak turn down a high-visibility project that wasn't aligned with his growth goals. Everyone gasped internally. His career still thrived. Because he was focused on what mattered.

High performers have figured out their "big rocks" — the two or three things that actually move the needle in their career. Everything else? "Not right now, but let me know in six months." Or just a flat no.

It's not rude. It's respectful to their own time and to the other person (because they'll find someone who can actually focus on it).

Quick Tip: Every "yes" is a "no" to something else. If you're not being intentional about what you're saying no to, someone else is deciding how you spend your time. That's not freedom.

My Perspective

I'm still figuring this out. I'm not perfect at any of these habits. Some weeks I'm 8/10 on sleep and exercise, other weeks I'm ordering Zomato at midnight like it's going out of style. But what's changed is that I notice. I'm honest about it. And I course-correct faster now.

The Kalyan to Mumbai commute taught me something else — everyone's fighting a battle. The guy reading analyst reports, the woman knitting, the student sleeping with his head on the window. Nobody's doing it perfectly. But the people who win are the ones who've stopped waiting for perfect and just started being consistent.

I used to think "success" was some secret formula. Now I think it's just unglamorous habits compounded over time. It's boring. It's not interesting at dinner parties. But it works.

And here's what surprised me the most — once you start, it becomes easier, not harder. Your body adjusts. Your mind adjusts. And three months in, you look back and can't believe you were ever different.

Final Thoughts

You're not behind because you're not smart enough. You're behind (if you are) because your systems aren't designed for success. And the beautiful part? Systems can be changed today.

Not all of it. Not at once. That's how people fail. They read an article, get inspired, change everything on Monday, and crash by Thursday.

Pick one. Just one. Start with the fundamentals — could be sleep, could be tracking money, could be a 20-minute walk. Do it for 21 days. See what happens. Then add the next one.

High performers aren't built in a day. They're built one boring habit at a time.

And the best time to start? Today. On the Kalyan local. Or at your desk. Or wherever you're reading this.

Now close this article and go do something about it.


Dattatray Dagale

Data Analyst • Blogger • Mumbai

I'm a data analyst from Kalyan, Maharashtra, working at Morningstar. I write about personal finance, career growth, and everyday life for Indian millennials — the stuff I wish someone had told me earlier.

Written by Dattatray Dagale • 11 October 2026

Post a Comment

0 Comments

×

📢 Featured Post

Post Thumbnail

💼 Budget 2025-26 💼

All major highlights.

📖 Read Now