I spent ₹8,000 on a portfolio website in 2019. Wasted money.
Not because portfolio websites are useless — they're not. But because I built it wrong, uploaded it to a domain I couldn't remember, filled it with projects nobody cared about, and then abandoned it for two years. When I finally needed it for a job switch, the website was broken, outdated, and the domain had expired.
That's when I rebuilt it. For free. And actually got results.
Here's what changed: I stopped treating it like a resume on steroids and started treating it like a conversation with a stranger who'd landed on my page for 30 seconds.
If you're in your mid-20s, working in tech, finance, or anything creative, and you're wondering whether a portfolio website is worth your time — especially when it's free — let me walk you through what I learned. And what I got spectacularly wrong first.
What I Got Wrong: The ₹8,000 Mistake
My first portfolio was overengineered. I paid a designer (through a Fiverr-style platform), bought hosting, registered a fancy domain name, and filled 10 pages with every project I'd ever touched. There were animations that took 3 seconds to load. A contact form that didn't work. A blog section I never updated. And worst of all? Nothing on that website explained why anyone should care.
I was trying to impress. I wasn't trying to communicate.
The brutal truth: a hiring manager at a Mumbai startup doesn't care about your web design skills unless you're actually applying to be a web designer. They care about whether you solved real problems.
And honestly? I didn't show that on my first site. I just showed off.
Why Paid Websites Failed Me
When you pay for hosting and a domain, there's psychological pressure to make it "worth it." You overdo it. You add features that sound impressive but serve nobody. You feel obligated to maintain it, but since there's a cost, you procrastinate on updates because changing things feels risky ("What if I break something I paid for?").
Also, I was working at Morningstar as a junior analyst. My job had nothing to do with web design. Why did I care if my website had a custom theme or parallax scrolling? I didn't. But my brain did, because I'd paid money for it.
The Real Problem: No Clear Purpose
I never answered: "Who is this website for?" Was it for investors? (I'm not raising money.) Clients? (I'm not a freelancer.) Employers? (I never linked to it in applications.) The answer was nobody. Which meant it was for me. Which meant it was vanity.
Vanity projects collect dust.
What Actually Changed: Free Tools That Work
Three years later, I rebuilt. This time, I used free tools only. Netlify for hosting. GitHub Pages as a backup. A free template. And most importantly, I asked myself one question before adding anything: "Would this matter to someone who takes 20 seconds to look at this?"
The answer was usually no. So I cut it.
Here's the thing — free portfolio platforms force you to be minimal. You can't add unnecessary features because the platforms don't allow it. This is a feature, not a bug. Constraints breed clarity.
The Free Tools That Actually Work for Indians
GitHub Pages + Jekyll: If you know basic HTML/CSS (or can Google it), this is free forever. No ads, no limitations, full control. GitHub is free for students and professionals. It takes maybe 2 hours to set up. There's a reason thousands of developers use this.
Netlify: You connect your GitHub repo, and Netlify deploys automatically whenever you push code. Free tier is generous — unlimited sites, unlimited bandwidth, no credit card required for basic features. I use this now. It's absurdly good.
Vercel: Similar to Netlify, owned by the makers of Next.js. If you're building something with React or modern JavaScript, this is smoother. Also free.
Carrd: If code scares you, Carrd's free tier gets you a single-page portfolio that looks professional. ₹0 forever (unless you buy a custom domain, which is optional). I recommend this for non-technical folks.
Notion: I've seen people build entire portfolios on Notion, make them public, and link to them. Notion's free tier is genuinely generous. Not ideal for portfolios, but it works.
Why Free Doesn't Mean Unprofessional
This surprised me. A website built on GitHub Pages with a clean template looks just as professional as one built on expensive hosting. Nobody can tell the difference. What matters is content, not infrastructure.
Let me say that again because I needed to hear it: what matters is content, not infrastructure.
Your employer doesn't care if you're using Netlify or AWS. They care if you've shipped projects. Built things. Solved problems. Documented your thinking. A free portfolio can do all of that.
The Content Strategy That Actually Works
This is the part I got wrong first. I'll be honest about it.
I used to think a portfolio should showcase everything. Every internship, every project, every Excel model I'd built. The logic was: "More is more. More projects = more impressive."
Wrong.
Less is infinitely more. When I rebuilt my portfolio, I included exactly 3 projects. That's it. Just three.
Why? Because those three projects told a story about who I am and what I do. One was a data visualization project I built analyzing mutual fund performance (relevant to Morningstar). One was a personal finance calculator I built during COVID lockdown (relevant to my interests). One was a case study about financial literacy in India (relevant to my values).
Each project had: a clear problem statement, my approach, the result, and what I learned. No fluff. No unnecessary screenshots. And most importantly, each project was something I could talk about for 10 minutes if someone asked.
That's the test. If you can't explain it in a conversation, it doesn't belong on your portfolio.
What to Include Instead of Everything
A short bio (150 words max). Don't tell me about your childhood or your philosophy. Tell me: what do you do? Who do you help? What problem do you solve?
3-5 projects (not more). For each project, include: What was the problem? What did you do? What was the result? What did you learn? Keep it to 200 words per project.
Your contact info. Email, LinkedIn, GitHub. That's it. Not your full address, not your phone number (unless you're applying for something specific).
No blog section unless you actually blog. (I didn't, so I removed it after two years of emptiness.)
No testimonials unless they're real. "John from Mumbai says I'm great!" doesn't mean anything. Don't fake it.
The Design Question
You don't need a designer. You need a clean template. Every free portfolio platform has 10+ templates that look professional. Pick one, change the colors to something you like, and leave it alone.
Consistency beats customization. A perfectly boring website that loads in 1 second beats a gorgeous website that takes 5 seconds to load and has 47 different fonts.
Here's why: someone visiting your portfolio is already skeptical. They have 100 other things to do. If your website is slow or confusing, they'll leave. A simple, fast, boring website gets out of the way and lets your projects speak.
How Free Portfolios Actually Generate Opportunities
I want to be real here: a portfolio website alone won't get you a job. This is important. Don't build a portfolio and then wait for recruiters to find it. That won't happen.
What a portfolio does is this: it turns your LinkedIn profile from "person who works somewhere" into "person who has done things." It gives you something to point to when networking. It makes your resume credible.
When I was job hunting last year, I applied to 8 roles. 3 of them reached out. All 3 asked me to share my portfolio. I sent the link, and during the interview, they brought up specific projects. The hiring manager at one company said, "I looked at your mutual fund analysis project. That's exactly the kind of thinking we need here."
Would I have gotten that interview without the portfolio? Maybe. But would the hiring manager have been as confident about my skills? No. The portfolio turned "claims to know data analysis" into "here's proof."
The Compounding Effect Over Time
Here's what surprised me most: a portfolio website compounds. You build it once, and for years, it works for you.
Every time someone shares your work on Twitter or LinkedIn, that link goes to your portfolio. Every time a recruiter searches your name, they might find it. Every time you apply somewhere and they Google you, it's there. You're not actively promoting it, but it's working.
My portfolio has gotten about 5,000 visitors in the past two years. I didn't pay for ads. I didn't promote it hard. It just... accumulated traffic. Some of those visitors were recruiters. Some were people interested in learning about data analysis. A few reached out with consulting opportunities.
That's the power of free. Because it costs nothing, you can keep it running forever. Unlike my ₹8,000 website that I abandoned, this one lives.
Direct vs. Indirect Benefits
Direct benefit: someone sees your portfolio and hires you immediately. This is rare, but it happens.
Indirect benefit: someone sees your portfolio, remembers your name, connects with you on LinkedIn, and 18 months later, when they're hiring, they reach out. This is more common. Way more common.
| Tool | Cost | Technical Skill | Best For |
|---|---|---|---|
| GitHub Pages + Jekyll | ₹0 forever | High (HTML/CSS) | Developers, data engineers |
| Netlify | ₹0 forever | Medium (GitHub + deploy) | Web developers, designers |
| Carrd | ₹0 forever (paid domain optional) | Low (drag-and-drop) | Non-technical professionals |
| Notion | ₹0 forever | Very low (already use Notion) | Creative professionals, writers |
| Vercel | ₹0 forever | High (React/modern JS) | Front-end developers |
Common Mistakes I See (And Made)
Mistake 1: Building it and forgetting it. A portfolio that hasn't been updated in 3 years is worse than no portfolio. If someone visits and sees your last project was from 2021, they'll assume you haven't done anything since. Update it. Even if it's just refreshing the date. Every 3-6 months, add something. A blog post, a new project, an update to an old project.
Mistake 2: Making it complicated. I see portfolios with contact forms that don't work, embedded videos that don't load, and navigation menus that are confusing. Simple beats complicated. Always.
Mistake 3: No call to action. What do you want someone to do after they visit? Email you? Follow you on LinkedIn? Hire you? Be explicit. At the end of my portfolio, there's a simple line: "Want to talk? Email me at [email]." That's it. Clear.
Mistake 4: Treating it like a resume. A portfolio is not a resume. A resume is a document. A portfolio is a conversation. Your portfolio should show personality, thinking, and process. A resume just lists what you did.
Mistake 5: Including projects you're not proud of. If you built something but it's mediocre, don't include it. I have 15 projects sitting in my GitHub that never made it to my portfolio. They're there for reference, but I don't showcase them. Quality over quantity.
My Perspective
During my M.A. Economics, a professor once said something that stuck with me: "An asset's value isn't in what it costs to build. It's in what it produces over time." We were talking about capital accumulation, but it applies to portfolios perfectly.
I spent ₹8,000 on something that produced nothing. Then I spent ₹0 and it produced opportunities, connections, and confidence.
What surprised me most? How the free version forced me to think better. When there are no constraints, you add everything. When there are constraints (limited features, no paid customization), you think: "Does this deserve to be here?" That friction is actually helpful.
I used to think I got wrong because it was free. Now I think I got it wrong because I didn't understand the purpose. If I'd paid ₹50,000 and built it with the same clarity I have now, it would've been worth it. But since I was confused about what it was for, paying more just meant I was confused and broke.
The lesson isn't "free is always better." The lesson is: "Clarity first, tools second." Figure out what you're building and why. Then pick the tool that fits. Free will work just fine if your thinking is clear.
Final Thoughts
If you're 24, 28, or 32, and you're thinking about building a portfolio — do it. Not because it'll guarantee a job, but because it'll force you to articulate what you've done and what you're capable of. That clarity matters more than the website itself.
And do it for free. Carrd, Netlify, GitHub Pages, Notion. Pick one based on your technical comfort level. Spend 4-6 hours on it. Add 3-4 projects that you're genuinely proud of. Then move on.
The portfolio isn't the goal. The goal is making yourself findable, credible, and memorable to people who might want to work with you someday.
That costs ₹0.
Everything else is just polish.
Dattatray Dagale
Data Analyst • Blogger • Mumbai
I'm a data analyst from Kalyan, Maharashtra, working at Morningstar. I write about personal finance, career growth, and everyday life for Indian millennials — the stuff I wish someone had told me earlier.
Written by Dattatray Dagale • 06 September 2026
0 Comments