Last month, my laptop died. Not a slow decline—a complete, catastrophic failure. The screen went black during a client presentation, and my heart went with it.
The repair estimate? ₹47,000. Not exactly pocket change for someone who commutes 90 minutes daily from Kalyan to Bandra and depends on that machine to do actual work. But here's what didn't happen: I didn't panic. I didn't email my parents. I didn't reach for a credit card I couldn't pay off immediately. I transferred ₹47,000 from my emergency fund, got it fixed, and moved on.
This is what an emergency fund actually does. It's not some theoretical safety net you read about in personal finance blogs. It's the difference between a bad day and a financial crisis. And yet, most people I know—smart people, people who earn well—don't have one. Or they have one that's too small, sitting in a savings account earning 3% interest while they stress about unexpected expenses.
So let me walk you through exactly how I built mine, why the number matters more than you think, and how to stop overthinking this and actually start.
Why Your Emergency Fund Isn't Just "Extra Money"
Here's the thing about emergencies: they don't care about your financial plan. Your car breaks down. Your parent needs medical attention. You lose your job. Your phone gets stolen at Dadar station (this happened to me in 2019, and yes, I learned the hard way).
Without an emergency fund, you have three options, and they all suck.
Option 1: Use Your Credit Card
This feels easy in the moment. You swipe, problem solved, you'll pay it back next month. Except next month arrives and you realize you can't actually pay it off. So you carry a balance. At 3.5% monthly interest (which becomes 42% annually), that ₹47,000 repair becomes ₹66,740 by the time you're done paying. I used to do this. It's how I learned that convenience is expensive.
Option 2: Borrow From Family
This damages relationships. It makes you feel like a failure. Even if your family says it's fine, there's this subtle shift in how they see you, and how you see yourself. I watched my brother borrow ₹1.5 lakhs from my parents when his bike needed a new engine. He paid it back in 8 months, but the awkwardness lasted years.
Option 3: Don't Fix It, and Let It Become Bigger
Ignore a health issue because you don't have ₹5,000 for a doctor visit. It becomes ₹50,000 in hospitalization costs. Ignore a noise in your car because you don't have ₹8,000 for diagnosis. The transmission fails. ₹2 lakhs gone. This is how small problems become life-altering ones.
An emergency fund is your middle finger to all three options. It's the thing that lets you handle life's randomness without destroying your long-term plans.
How Much Should You Actually Have?
Everyone says "3 to 6 months of expenses." But that's useless advice if you don't know what your actual expenses are. Let me show you how I calculated mine.
Step 1: Write Down Your Monthly Non-Negotiables
These are the things you'd spend money on even if the world ended. For me, sitting in my apartment in Kalyan:
- Rent: ₹18,000
- Groceries & food: ₹12,000
- Electricity, internet, water: ₹3,500
- Phone & travel (BEST pass to Mumbai): ₹4,000
- Insurance & miscellaneous: ₹2,500
Total: ₹40,000 per month.
Notice what's not here: gym membership (₹1,500), eating out (₹8,000), online subscriptions (₹2,000). Those are the first things you cut when there's an emergency. They don't belong in this calculation.
Step 2: Figure Out Your Multiplier
The standard advice is 6 months. But that assumes you'll find a new job in 6 months if you lose yours. At Morningstar, I'm reasonably confident in my job security. I work in a niche skill set (data analysis + financial domain knowledge). If I got fired tomorrow, I'd likely find something in 2–3 months, maybe 4 if the market is bad.
So 6 months felt right for me. ₹40,000 × 6 = ₹2,40,000.
But here's where I got honest: I also have a car. Maintenance costs about ₹15,000 annually, but unexpected repairs could be ₹30,000–50,000. Medical emergencies aren't common, but when they happen, they're expensive. My parents sometimes need help (which isn't technically my "emergency," but life doesn't care about terminology).
I added ₹60,000 as a buffer. Final number: ₹3,00,000.
And honestly? I'm still figuring out if this is right. Some months I think it's too much. Other months I'm relieved it exists.
| Scenario | Monthly Non-Negotiables | Suggested Multiplier | Target Emergency Fund |
|---|---|---|---|
| Stable job, no dependents | ₹35,000 | 4 months | ₹1,40,000 |
| Stable job, health concerns, 1 dependent | ₹50,000 | 6 months | ₹3,00,000 |
| Freelancer, variable income | ₹45,000 | 9-12 months | ₹4,05,000–₹5,40,000 |
| Business owner | ₹60,000 | 12 months | ₹7,20,000 |
Where to Actually Keep Your Emergency Fund
This matters more than people think. Your emergency fund needs to be accessible, not "investable." I see people putting emergency money into stocks, cryptocurrency, or fixed deposits with lock-in periods. That's not an emergency fund. That's an investment portfolio. Different things.
The Wrong Approach: High-Yield Investments
During the 2020 crash, a friend had ₹2 lakhs in an equity mutual fund earmarked as emergency savings. When his mother needed unexpected surgery, the fund was down 35%. He either had to pull out at a loss or figure out how to borrow ₹2 lakhs elsewhere. He pulled out. Lost ₹70,000.
Don't be this person.
The Right Approach: Bank Account + Savings Rate
Here's my current setup:
- Primary emergency fund: HDFC Bank savings account (3.5% interest, no lock-in, instant access)
- Backup emergency fund: Liquid mutual fund via Groww (4.2% interest, 1-day withdrawal)
I keep ₹2,00,000 in the savings account and ₹1,00,000 in the liquid fund. The savings account is truly liquid—I can withdraw it in 5 minutes if something catastrophic happens. The liquid fund is for slightly less urgent situations where I have a day or two to wait.
Yes, the interest rates are low. Yes, inflation will erode the value slightly. But that's the trade-off for reliability. An emergency fund that you can't access in an emergency is just money sitting around making you feel false security.
Some people use a dedicated savings account with no debit card—something like Federal Bank's Emergency Fund account. The point is: it should be separate from your regular checking account (so you don't accidentally spend it on a weekend trip), but it should be liquid.
How to Actually Build It (When You're Not Rich)
Okay, so you need ₹3,00,000 but you're currently running on fumes. How do you get from here to there?
The answer isn't "save more money." That's what people tell you, and it's technically correct but utterly unhelpful. Let me give you the actual process.
Phase 1: Get to ₹50,000 (The Urgency Phase)
This is your first milestone. Once you have ₹50,000, you're no longer in free-fall mode. You can handle a medical emergency. Your laptop can die. You can breathe slightly easier.
Target: 2–3 months.
Method: Find ₹1,500–2,000 per month from somewhere. Kill a subscription you don't use. Eat out 2 fewer times per month. Ask for a small raise (or switch jobs, which is faster). Use your tax refund. Sell something. I sold my old bicycle for ₹8,000 and used half of it for this purpose.
The point isn't the amount. It's that you're building the habit of directing money toward this specific goal.
Phase 2: ₹50,000 to ₹1,50,000 (The Building Phase)
Now you're in less immediate danger, so this phase can take longer. 6–12 months is reasonable.
Method: Set up an automatic transfer of ₹5,000–8,000 every payday to your emergency fund account. Automate it so you don't have to think about it. (HDFC's Xpress Credit account has a neat feature where you can set up automatic savings sweeps.)
The psychological shift here is important: you're no longer "trying to save." You're operating on autopilot. The money moves before you have a chance to spend it.
Phase 3: ₹1,50,000 to Your Target (The Optimization Phase)
By now, having an emergency fund is becoming normal. You're less tempted to dip into it. The last push to your target number is the slowest, but it's also the easiest psychologically because you can already see the finish line.
Method: Keep the automatic transfers going. If your income increases—a promotion, a bonus, a side project—put 50% of that increase into the emergency fund until you hit your target.
This is how I got from ₹2,40,000 to ₹3,00,000. I did a freelance data analysis project for a startup, made ₹30,000, and moved ₹15,000 into the emergency fund. No lifestyle creep. Just straight into the fund.
My Perspective
I studied Economics in college, and I remember my professor talking about behavioral economics—how people make terrible financial decisions because they're emotionally irrational. At the time, I thought this was obvious. Of course people are irrational! But it didn't really *click* until I actually lived it.
I built my first emergency fund in 2021, completely by accident. I was just saving money in my bank account because I didn't know what else to do with it. Then my car broke down, and I realized I had ₹80,000 just sitting there. It saved me. I didn't understand how powerful that was until I talked to a friend who had maxed out his credit card on a similar repair and was paying ₹3,000/month in interest for the next year.
What surprised me: how quickly the anxiety disappeared once I had this fund. I'm more confident at work because I'm not scared of losing my job. I make better career decisions because I'm not desperate. I can negotiate better because I have runway. The money itself is less important than the *psychological freedom* it creates.
What I got wrong: I used to think bigger was always better. I aimed for 12 months of expenses initially. But honestly? 6 months is probably enough for someone in my situation. The last 6 months of buffer is becoming more of an "nice to have" than a necessity. I might actually redirect some of that to investments.
Final Thoughts
Here's what nobody tells you: an emergency fund is boring. It's not exciting like investing in a growth stock. It doesn't give you bragging rights at a dinner party. It just sits there, doing nothing, which is exactly the point.
The unsexy truth about money is that most of it is built in the unglamorous hours. It's not one big win. It's ₹2,000 here, ₹5,000 there, automated transfers you barely notice, small decisions that compound over months and years.
Start today. Not tomorrow when you get your bonus. Not next month when you'll "definitely" have more time. Open an account right now—HDFC, ICICI, Axis, whoever—and move ₹1,000 into it. That's it. You've started.
Once you have that first ₹50,000, you'll understand why this matters. You'll stop being scared of random life events. You'll sleep better. And when your laptop dies (or whatever your emergency is), you'll just handle it.
That's worth more than any investment return.
Dattatray Dagale
Data Analyst • Blogger • Mumbai
I'm a data analyst from Kalyan, Maharashtra, working at Morningstar. I write about personal finance, career growth, and everyday life for Indian millennials — the stuff I wish someone had told me earlier.
Written by Dattatray Dagale • 23 September 2026
0 Comments