Advertisement

Why Your LinkedIn Profile Gets Scrolled Past in 3 Seconds

Why Your LinkedIn Profile Gets Scrolled Past in 3 Seconds

I used to think my LinkedIn profile was "fine." A decent photo, my job title at Morningstar, a couple of lines about analyzing data and writing about money. Professional. Bland. Invisible.

Then I started noticing something. People I'd connected with were getting inmail messages from recruiters, opportunities for freelance writing gigs, speaking invitations at fintech events. I was getting... nothing. Not even a recruiter's generic "We'd love to chat" message.

Last year, I decided to actually pay attention to what works on LinkedIn. Not the "10 tips from a life coach" kind of advice, but real patterns. And I realized I'd gotten almost everything wrong.

Here's what I learned.

The Photo You Upload Actually Matters (More Than You Think)

My first mistake was using a photo from my cousin's wedding. Nice enough — formal shirt, decent lighting — but it looked like every other corporate headshot on LinkedIn. I blended in so well that I basically disappeared.

Then I watched what happens when you scroll through your feed. You know how it feels? Like flipping through a company directory from 1998. Gray backgrounds, forced smiles, everyone looking vaguely uncomfortable.

Why Your Current Photo Is Killing Your Profile

A photo that looks like it was taken in a corporate office? Recruiters and connections see that and think: "This person is doing this because they have to." Not because they're genuinely interested in growth or opportunities.

But here's what actually works: a photo that looks like you. Not casual, not unprofessional — just real. I switched to a photo taken outdoors, natural light, no weird corporate backdrop. It's a slightly closer crop, genuine smile (not the "I'm at a funeral pretending to be happy" corporate smile), and I'm wearing something I'd actually wear to coffee.

The difference? My connection acceptance rate jumped by about 40%. I know that sounds dramatic, but I tracked it. And every time someone connects with me now, they mention the profile looking "approachable" or "authentic." That word keeps coming up: authentic.

The Technical Stuff That Doesn't Matter As Much

Professional photographer? Unnecessary. I used my phone camera and a mate from Kalyan who knows lighting. Cost me a chai and some samosas. The photo is clear, well-lit, and shows me as I actually am — not as some corporate avatar.

Quick Tip: Update your photo if you haven't in the last 2 years. Seriously. That thing is the first filter anyone applies.

Your Headline Is Not Your Job Title

Here's where I was really stupid.

My LinkedIn headline was: "Data Analyst | Morningstar | Economics Graduate"

You know how boring that is? That's not a headline. That's a roster entry.

A headline is a conversation starter. It's the reason someone pauses for two seconds instead of scrolling past. And I was using it like a filing cabinet label.

What I Changed (And Why It Worked)

I switched to: "Helping Indian millennials stop losing money to bad financial habits | Data Analyst at Morningstar | Writing about money, career, and life"

That's it. That small change did something interesting. Suddenly, people weren't connecting because we shared a mutual connection or because I'd viewed their profile. They were connecting because the headline told them I did something they cared about.

And honestly? That's when the real opportunities started showing up. Editors asking me to write. Fintech founders wanting to discuss data stories. People who actually cared about what I was building.

Your headline should answer one simple question: What problem do you solve for the people you want to reach?

Not: "What is your job?"

But: "Who do you help and how?"

The Test I Run Now

Before I finalize a headline, I ask myself: Would someone connect with me based on this alone, without knowing my company or credentials?

If the answer is no, I'm not being specific enough.

Mine now reads like something a real person would say over coffee — because it is. It's about what I actually do when I'm not at my desk at Morningstar. It's the thing that lights me up.

Your About Section Is Where Everything Lives (Or Dies)

This is the section I completely underestimated.

My old "About" was two sentences. Credentials, experience, education. Very thorough. Very invisible.

Then I realized: This is where people actually get to know you. Not your CV. Not your job history. Your About section is the only place on LinkedIn where you can sound like yourself.

The Mistake Most People Make

We write our About section like we're applying for a job at a bank. Third person, passive voice, credentials stacked like a resume. "Dattatray is an experienced data analyst with expertise in..."

No. No, no, no.

LinkedIn's algorithm doesn't favor corporate speak. Your network doesn't scroll past corporate speak because it's interesting. They do it because it's invisible.

I rewrote mine completely. First person. The actual story. Why I started writing about money. What I see every day working with data at Morningstar that made me realize most Indians are making predictable, preventable financial mistakes. How I commute from Kalyan to Mumbai because I believe in the work, not because I'm chasing a paycheck.

And I added something really specific: a line about what I actually want to talk about. "If you're building something in fintech, trying to understand Indian millennials, or just want to talk about why SIPs are better than trying to time the market, let's connect."

The Structure That Actually Works

Opening hook (2-3 lines): Why you do what you do, not what you do.

The story (4-5 lines): What pattern or problem led you here. What you noticed that others missed.

What you're interested in (3-4 lines): Specific. Not "growth" or "innovation." Actual things you think about and want to work on.

The call-to-action (1-2 lines): What should people do if they want to talk to you.

That's it. And suddenly, your About section isn't just information. It's an invitation.

Quick Tip: Read your About section out loud. If you wouldn't say it over coffee, rewrite it.

Your Activity Is Not Optional (And I Ignored This for Years)

Here's the thing I used to believe: LinkedIn is just for job hunting. You update your profile, you wait for recruiters to message you, you either get a job or you don't.

That's the opposite of how LinkedIn actually works in 2024.

LinkedIn is a platform. Like Twitter. Like Instagram. And like any platform, the algorithm rewards people who actually use it.

When I started posting — real posts, not just resharing articles — something shifted. Not overnight. But over two months, my profile views went from about 20-30 a week to 200-300 a week.

Why Posting Changes Everything

Think about it from LinkedIn's perspective. If you update your profile and never post, you're basically inactive. The algorithm doesn't promote inactive profiles. Why would it?

But the second you start posting, you're signaling: "I'm here. I have things to say. This is a place I'm actively building something."

Suddenly, your profile shows up in more feeds. More people see you. More people connect. And here's the bit nobody talks about: once you have momentum, it compounds.

I post roughly once a week. Not every day (that's exhausting and usually pointless). Once a week. Something I've learned. A mistake I made. A pattern I noticed in data. Something real, not some generic "Your mindset determines your success" nonsense.

The Posts That Actually Work

I started tracking which posts got engagement. And honestly? The ones that performed best weren't the ones I thought would.

A long thread about why I used to think mutual funds were boring? 2,000+ views, dozens of comments, a few direct messages from people asking me to explain concepts.

A post about how I almost made a terrible decision while buying a house in Kalyan and what I learned? Similar engagement, but something different happened. People shared their own stories. Real conversations started.

The pattern: Specificity beats generality. Every single time.

"Five ways to build wealth" gets scrolled past. "Why I almost ruined my finances buying a property in Kalyan" gets read, shared, discussed.

What Gets Ignored What Actually Works Why
Generic motivational quotes Your specific mistake and what you learned Real > Polished. Always.
LinkedIn-speak ("synergy," "leverage," "bandwidth") How you'd actually describe it Your voice is your differentiator
Resharing other people's content Your original take on someone else's idea Platforms promote creators, not curators
Industry trends everyone's already talking about Patterns you've actually noticed in your work You have data others don't. Use it.
Posts asking for engagement ("What do you think?") Posts that teach or reveal something new People engage with value, not pleas

How I Think About This Now

Let me be real about what changed when I fixed my LinkedIn profile: nothing dramatic happened overnight. I didn't wake up to 50 job offers. I didn't get featured in some LinkedIn article about "rising data analysts."

What actually happened is slower and, honestly, more valuable.

I started getting messages from people who actually read something I wrote and wanted to talk about it. A recruiter from a fintech startup messaged me because my headline made her think I'd be a good cultural fit (I wasn't interested, but it was a real conversation). Someone asked me to speak at a small investor education event. Another person asked if I'd be interested in writing a guest post for their newsletter.

That's the stuff that changes careers. Not visibility. Relevance.

At Morningstar, I spend my days looking at data patterns. And one pattern I see over and over: people who are strategic about how they present themselves — not in a manipulative way, but in an honest way — get better opportunities. Not because they're better than others, but because they're findable. They're clear about what they do and who they help. There's no confusion about who they are or what they're building.

Your LinkedIn profile is your chance to do that at scale. To be that person who's findable. Clear. Real.

Final Thoughts

If you're reading this and thinking "Dattatray, this seems like a lot of work," you're not wrong. It is. It takes time to write a thoughtful About section. It takes effort to post regularly. It takes vulnerability to be yourself on a professional network that spent the last 20 years teaching us to be corporate clones.

But here's what I know now: The effort is worth it. Not because you'll become an influencer or get millions of views. But because when someone lands on your profile, they'll know exactly who you are and what you're about. They won't scroll past in 3 seconds. They might actually message you. They might actually want to work with you.

And that compounds. Over months. Over years.

Fix your photo. Rewrite your headline. Actually write your About section. Post once a week about something real.

Do that, and you won't be invisible anymore.


Dattatray Dagale

Data Analyst • Blogger • Mumbai

I'm a data analyst from Kalyan, Maharashtra, working at Morningstar. I write about personal finance, career growth, and everyday life for Indian millennials — the stuff I wish someone had told me earlier.

Written by Dattatray Dagale • 10 September 2026

Post a Comment

0 Comments

×

📢 Featured Post

Post Thumbnail

💼 Budget 2025-26 💼

All major highlights.

📖 Read Now