Advertisement

The Mutual Fund Mistakes I Made Before Understanding How to Actually Start

The Mutual Fund Mistakes I Made Before Understanding How to Actually Start

I Thought Mutual Funds Were Too Complicated (They're Not)

When I first joined Morningstar three years ago, I was surrounded by analysts discussing P/E ratios, AUM figures, and fund performance metrics. I sat at my desk thinking: *This is it. I'm going to learn investing.* I didn't. Instead, I spent the first six months nodding along to conversations I didn't fully understand, pretending to know what "rolling returns" meant (I didn't), and honestly? That's where most Indians start. We see mutual funds as this exclusive club for people with economics degrees and large portfolios. The truth is simpler and more embarrassing: I avoided starting because I thought I needed to understand *everything* first. I used to believe you needed ₹1 lakh minimum to start. I thought you had to pick the perfect fund on day one. I believed that if you didn't monitor your portfolio daily, you'd lose money overnight. And the worst part? I thought there was some secret formula that fund managers knew that I'd never figure out. None of that was true. Here's what changed my mind: sitting in a local train from Kalyan to Bandra one Tuesday morning, I overheard two college girls discussing their ₹500 monthly SIP in a mutual fund. They weren't financial analysts. One was studying commerce, the other worked at a BPO. They were laughing about how boring it was to invest automatically every month, but they were *doing it*. That conversation stuck with me harder than any article I've read. I realised I was overthinking this because I work in the financial services industry. The meta of my job had convinced me that investing had to be complicated to be respectable. It doesn't.

What I Got Wrong About Getting Started

Wrong #1: You Need to Pick a Fund Manager's Name

I genuinely thought the first step was researching who manages the fund. I'd look at names like Nilesh Shah at Axis or Sanjay Nayar at KKB, thinking their reputation alone would guarantee returns. That's backwards thinking. The fund house name matters more than any individual manager's charisma. Yes, managers are talented. No, they won't save you from a bad market or make you rich overnight. What I learned: A Axis Bluechip or HDFC Midcap Opportunities fund works because the *process* is systematic, not because one brilliant person is managing your money. Funds rotate managers. Systems stay. Focus on the fund house first, then the fund category.

Wrong #2: I Needed to Time My Entry

I spent two years waiting for a "market correction" to invest my first ₹10,000. I'm not kidding. I checked Nifty charts obsessively. I read economic forecasts. I told myself: *When the market dips 8%, I'll jump in.* The market did dip. By then, I'd lost two years of potential compound growth and honestly? The market had also gone up 20% overall during those two years. The most expensive thing I bought was patience that wasn't patience at all — it was fear wearing a smart outfit. What I learned: The best time to start was always yesterday. The second-best time is today. A SIP (Systematic Investment Plan) of ₹1,000 per month means you automatically invest in dips AND peaks, which mathematically cancels out the timing problem. You stop trying to be smarter than the market and start letting the market work for you.

Wrong #3: My First Investment Had to Be "Perfect"

I agonised over that first fund choice for *weeks*. I created spreadsheets comparing 3-year returns, 5-year returns, Sharpe ratios (still don't fully understand that metric, let's be honest). I wanted the absolute best fund, the one that would make my friends jealous at parties. Here's what I didn't realise: A mediocre fund started immediately beats a perfect fund started never. Also, your first mutual fund investment is exactly that — your first. It's not your only one. If you pick a decent large-cap fund and it underperforms in year two, you adjust in year three. This isn't marriage. It's investing. What I learned: The perfect fund doesn't exist. A "good" fund is one that: - Tracks its benchmark consistently - Doesn't have hidden costs eating your returns - Aligns with your risk appetite - You'll actually stick with for 5+ years Everything else is noise.

How to Actually Start (The Real Steps)

Step 1: Open an Account on an App. That's It.

Stop planning. Download Groww or Zerodha (these two dominate for a reason — interface is simple, charges are transparent). Create an account. It takes 10 minutes. You'll need: - Aadhar card - PAN card (if you don't have this, get it — it's free and takes 5 minutes online) - A bank account - Your phone That's genuinely all you need. You don't need to understand how funds work perfectly. You don't need a ₹5 lakh lump sum. You don't need permission from anyone. I spent three weeks debating which app had the best interface. They're all functional. Pick one and move on.

Step 2: Decide Your Monthly Amount (Start Tiny)

Most people self-sabotage here by deciding their SIP should be "meaningful." I used to think that way. A friend asked me: "Why does a ₹500 SIP feel like a waste?" I had no good answer. It doesn't. Here's the math: ₹500/month for 20 years at 12% annual returns = ₹33 lakhs approximately. That ₹500 is money you'll forget about anyway. It's less than one pizza dinner per month. If you can afford ₹10,000/month, great. If you can afford ₹500/month, also great. The amount matters less than the *consistency*. I used to think small SIPs were for people who couldn't afford investing properly. Nonsense. Small SIPs are for people who understand that time compounds wealth more reliably than panic-saving ₹50,000 once a year and then spending it on a holiday.

Step 3: Pick a Fund Type (Three Categories to Know)

There are 600+ mutual funds in India. You don't need to know about 600. You need to know about three: **Large-Cap Funds** — These invest in India's biggest companies (TCS, Reliance, HDFC Bank). They're boring. They're stable. They return 10–12% on average. If you have no idea what you're doing, start here. I'd recommend HDFC Top 100 or Axis Bluechip. **Mid-Cap and Small-Cap Funds** — These invest in smaller, faster-growing companies. They're volatile (can drop 20% in a year, can gain 40% too). If you're under 30 and can handle seeing your portfolio dip without freaking out, add these. Don't put your entire corpus here. Maybe 30–40% of your portfolio. **Balanced or Multi-Asset Funds** — These mix stocks and bonds automatically. They're the comfortable middle ground. Returns are 8–10% usually, but the ride is smoother. Great for people who hate monitoring portfolios. Don't overthink this. If you don't know, start with a large-cap fund. You can always diversify later.
Quick Tip: Most beginners panic-sell when markets crash 15–20%. You won't panic if you're already mentally prepared that this happens every 3–4 years. It's not a bug — it's a feature. Markets go down so you can buy more units at lower prices.

The Fees Nobody Talks About (But Should)

Here's where I got angry at myself. For months, I didn't even check the expense ratio of my fund. I was too focused on finding the fund with the best historical returns. Meanwhile, a 2% fee was quietly eating 20% of my gains over time. Expense Ratio = the annual cost of holding a fund. A 1% ER on a ₹1 lakh investment costs you ₹1,000 per year. Sounds small? Over 20 years with compound growth, that 1% difference between two funds can mean ₹10–15 lakhs in lost wealth. Here's the honest ranking: - **Direct Plans** = Lowest fees (0.5–1.0% ER). These are for people who invest directly via apps. There's no middleman (no distributor taking a cut). These are what you want. If your app says "Direct," you're good. - **Regular Plans** = Higher fees (1.5–2.5% ER). These are for people who invest through a broker or advisor who takes commission. Avoid these unless you're paying for actual advisory. When I started, I didn't even know Direct vs. Regular existed. I just picked a fund name and clicked. I probably paid 1.5% in fees when I should have paid 0.7%. That's not huge, but it's the kind of mistake that compounds negatively. **Pro tip:** If your app's fund list shows two versions of the same fund (e.g., "HDFC Midcap Opportunities" and "HDFC Midcap Opportunities Direct"), always pick Direct.
Fund Type Risk Level Average Return Best For Whom
Large-Cap Low 10–12% p.a. Beginners, conservative investors
Mid-Cap Medium-High 12–16% p.a. Young investors (25–35), higher risk appetite
Balanced/Multi-Asset Medium 8–10% p.a. People who hate market volatility
Small-Cap Very High 16–20%+ p.a. Experienced investors only, 10+ year horizon

The Mistake That Cost Me Years of Returns

I started my first SIP in March 2022. Nifty was at 16,500. By September 2022, Nifty had crashed to 16,000. My portfolio was down 15%. I was devastated. I remember checking my Groww app five times a day, wondering if I should pause my SIP. I didn't. Thank God I didn't. By March 2023, Nifty was back to 17,500. By March 2024, it was 21,000. The people who paused or withdrew during that 2022 crash? They bought back in at higher prices and still haven't made their money back. I stayed consistent and my ₹500/month became worth 20% more in two years. The lesson: A market crash feels like a personal failure when you're new to investing. It's not. It's an opportunity wearing a scary mask. Every time your portfolio dips 15%, that's the market saying "buy more units at a discount." Your SIP does that automatically. You just have to not panic and cancel it. Panic-selling during a crash is like selling your house at 40% discount because the neighbourhood had a bad monsoon. The house is still good. The neighbourhood will recover. So will your portfolio.

My Perspective

I think about this every morning on my Kalyan to Mumbai commute — I see the same people day after day who probably earn decent salaries (we're talking IT professionals, analysts, managers in that train) but I wonder how many of them actually invest. The train discussion I had about those two girls stuck with me because it *should* be that casual. It should be as normal as having chai in the morning. What surprised me most? That I didn't need to be right. I needed to be consistent. I made mistakes in my fund selection. One of my mid-cap picks underperformed for three years. But because I kept adding to my portfolio monthly, those losses averaged out. I stopped thinking of ₹10,000 invested and ₹8,000 remaining as a "loss" — I started thinking of it as buying units at a 20% discount. The thing I'd do differently? I'd start with ₹1,000/month in a large-cap fund at 21, not 26. That five-year difference? That's roughly ₹3–4 lakhs I'll never get back due to compound growth. I can't recover that. But someone reading this who's 22 can avoid my timeline.

Final Thoughts

Here's what I want you to know: Starting a mutual fund investment is genuinely easier than you think it is. It's harder than I'm making it sound only because we've mythologised investing as this complex, elite activity. It's not. It's literally: 1. Download Groww 2. Complete KYC (5 minutes) 3. Pick a large-cap fund 4. Set a ₹500–₹5,000 monthly SIP 5. Don't touch it for 5 years That's it. You're now investing like 2% of Indian millennials actually do. The remaining 98% are either waiting for the perfect moment, the perfect fund, or the perfect financial situation. They're still waiting. Your life will not change because of ₹500/month. Your life will change because 10 years from now, that ₹500/month became ₹10 lakhs, and you realised that time and consistency beat intelligence, luck, and market timing combined. You don't need to be an economics graduate. You don't need to understand P&L statements. You don't need a ₹5 lakh lump sum. You need a phone, a PAN card, and the willingness to start with something small. I'd have given anything to start at 22 with this knowledge. But I'm telling you now so you don't have to wait until you're 26 to regret not starting at 21. Start today. You'll thank yourself in a decade.

Dattatray Dagale

Data Analyst • Blogger • Mumbai

I'm a data analyst from Kalyan, Maharashtra, working at Morningstar. I write about personal finance, career growth, and everyday life for Indian millennials — the stuff I wish someone had told me earlier.

Written by Dattatray Dagale • 18 September 2026

Post a Comment

0 Comments

×

📢 Featured Post

Post Thumbnail

💼 Budget 2025-26 💼

All major highlights.

📖 Read Now